JohnDisney

YouTube not allowing Youtubers under 1000 subscribers to stream

Hello, 

I saw that YouTube introduced a new rule that Youtubers under 1000 subscribers cannot stream.

On the other hand we can stream through Stream labs instead. Stream labs is permitting live streaming from there app by connecting your channel to it

If somebody already posted about this I apologize in advance.

Thanks

Edited by JohnDisney

According to the Digital Ready Blog and other sources, that rule is for channels that collect revenue from You Tube

https://digitalready.co/blog/new-changes-to-youtube-monetization-in-2018-to-better-protect-creators

I couldn't find anything recently posted on a You Tube rule change.

I received the error message on my phone today when I tried to mobile stream to YT ( I do not meet eligibility requirements for mobile streaming).  The new policy means that anyone who wants to mobile stream with less than 1000 subs per channel can no longer do so.  You can still stream using a webcam, however, with no sub limitations.... so far.

Edited by HiddenMickey

On 4/6/2019 at 3:39 AM, Fizbain said:

Guess we need to start a subscriber campaign

While a subscriber campaign push is a good idea, it seems very hard for those who stream less often to reach the 1000 subs eligibility. If you can't stream live, then you are at a great disadvantage to get subscribers (did Youtube really think this one through?)

I would like to offer the following suggestion as to how to proceed:

1.  Keep one or two of the Youtube channels active for resort streaming since there is no eligibility requirement for webcams/computers. Also, those streams can remain active for long periods of time.

2.  For mobile streams, I would suggest utilizing the already established EoE Facebook page.

The page is already established and has over 2000K followers so it would be fairly easy to reach viewers when there are live streams.

.   Streamer permissions could be assigned at the time streaming requests are submitted (for the length/duration of their trip)

It's easy to use and it is FREE!

Notifications are more reliable than Youtube

Video quality has improved a lot since live streaming first started on FB.

The Facebook live streams do include a chat feature

The Facebook page could be used to promote upcoming streams 

Other sites started with Facebook and then expanded to Youtube.   Use the Facebook page to promote and redirect viewers to any live Youtube streams and encourage them to subscribe and get notifications.

The only drawback, of course, is the inability to embed streams to the EoE site......but that was true for Youtube if the 1000  eligibility requirement had not been met.

Maybe this isn't an ideal solution, but given the current situation, it would be easy to implement and promote.

Other options might include sites like Periscope (not a fan) but that would mean starting from scratch to build a following.

Edited by HiddenMickey

HiddenMickey's suggestion to use the EoE Facebook site to draw more subscribers to the YouTube channels makes lots of sense to me.

Especially now since we can't mobile live stream directly to YouTube anyway.  Then once the YT channels hit 1000 we can go back to streaming there. 

I also agree with Hidden Mickey, by streaming from the FB page we can hopefully get a bigger following to hopefully then switch back over to youtube.  Like Hidden MIckey said the notification from FB to alert streaming is so much better than Youtube's. I can't tell how many streams I have missed on YouTube because I don't get the notifications.  Keep the site domain here, but direct people to the EoE FB page for streams.  We can also maybe make an EoE chat/forum FB page so not to clutter the video page on FB.

I've heard many park live streamers are getting around the 1000 subscriber limit using a mobile application "Stream Labs" (https://streamlabs.com/mobile-app). This app probably disguises the feed as a webcam. I do not endorse this method, but thought I'd put it out there (Ooops I just realized John mention this above).

Edited by robramdisk

I agree with you.  Also, just a matter of time until Youtube figures this out and puts a speedy end to getting around their eligibility rules.  I also question sites that are selling Youtube subscribers to meet the 1000 subs requirement...wonder if they are just bots.

Edited by HiddenMickey

1 hour ago, flounder1959 said:

Is an IPAD considered a computer?

Is a Raspberri Pi considered a computer? If EoE streams are broadcast to Facebook, a Python script can poll https://www.facebook.com/pg/EyesOnEars/videos/ and rebroadcast livestreams to Youtube. I believe "Stream Labs" can also broadcast to multiple platforms (YT,FB,Twitch etc...)

I just tried using my Samsung tablet (wifi only).... "doesn't meet Youtube requirements"...... so it appears phone and tablet are not options.  

I would think the Raspberri would be recognized as a computer and not a mobile device....give it a test on your channel and you'll find out quickly.

Edited by HiddenMickey

I tried to live streaming using a web browser on my phone instead of the YouTube app.  No luck.  Using the Firefox app and then navigating to the YouTube website I was finally able to get the Go Live option to appear but the button to start the broadcast stayed grayed out.  The Chrome browser app doesn't even show the live option.  Makes sense since Google produces the Chrome browser and owns YouTube. 

1 minute ago, oshpopham said:

I tried to live streaming using a web browser on my phone instead of the YouTube app.  No luck.

When you loaded the Youtube page via the mobile browser, did you request the desktop page? I believe mobile browsers default to mobile.

20 minutes ago, robramdisk said:

When you loaded the Youtube page via the mobile browser, did you request the desktop page? I believe mobile browsers default to mobile.

Yes, requested desktop page.

22 hours ago, robramdisk said:

I've heard many park live streamers are getting around the 1000 subscriber limit using a mobile application "Stream Labs" (https://streamlabs.com/mobile-app). This app probably disguises the feed as a webcam. I do not endorse this method, but thought I'd put it out there (Ooops I just realized John mention this above).

I've used StreamLabs and CamOn Live.  Both work well; StreamLabs seems to a more bells and whistles.  I have tried neither since learing about the new restrictions but will give them both a try before an upcoming trip.  I can also try a Raspberry Pi stream. I suspect that would be considered a non-mobile stream.

Edited by dbeedle

16 hours ago, oshpopham said:

I tried to live streaming using a web browser on my phone instead of the YouTube app.  No luck.  Using the Firefox app and then navigating to the YouTube website I was finally able to get the Go Live option to appear but the button to start the broadcast stayed grayed out.  The Chrome browser app doesn't even show the live option.  Makes sense since Google produces the Chrome browser and owns YouTube. 

I wonder of the live stream in a browser relies upon Flash.  If so, Chrome no longer supports it.  Steps can be taken to get Firefox to use Flash I believe.  It involves downloading Flash from Adobe and installing it.  It's been a while since I've used Firefox or Flash I'm afraid so going off old info here.  I do know of only one mobile browser that does support flash out of the box, that one being the Puffin browser. It also works with EoE chat! 

Edited by dbeedle

22 hours ago, robramdisk said:

Hmmm...I'm just guessing here but, I would imagine YouTube is not able to determine if a device is mobile or not if it is using the RTMP stream directly rather than whatever it is that the YouTube app uses.  Just a wild guess really no evidence to support the idea. 

Now that I think of it...and if I remember right, StreamLabs routes traffic through it's own servers rather than direct to YouTube.  IF so, that would allow them to cover up the origins of a stream.

I did some experimentation last night using my own channel.  I have no where near 1000 subscribers so, Live streaming from a mobile device, which did work previously, no longer is allowed.  

What is working is, Streamlabs and Camon Live.  I also gave a web cam on a Raspberry Pi a try and had no issues with that.

At least until YouTube outlaws live streaming for less that 1000 subscribers outright, there are alternatives.

Having tried to mobile stream from Youtube, I am told I do not (anymore) meet the eligibility requirements.  I can, however, stream from my computer/webcam or laptop.

For people who wish to opt for 3rd party apps like Stream Labs for their personal channel, I say go for it.  But for a site that relies on having a dependable channel, I think it's a bad idea. 

1.EoE streamers (some who are not tech inclined) need an easy, hassle-free as possible way to connect and stream.

2.  With the new guidelines Youtube has put in place to mobile streams, finding a way to circumvent those rules might end in a warning, suspension, cancellation.  I know of no one that has put that to the test, but is it worth the risk?   The current EoE Youtube channels are allowed to stream from computer/webcam (and I suppose software like Wirecast on a PC.laptop)   I still think that using FB for mobile streams and promoting/redirecting viewers to Youtube streams when they are available is the safest way to go.  Trying to meet the eligibility requirements on Youtube is probably best done following their rules.