JohnDisney

My first two streams with Eyes On Ears

I just want to say thank you to everyone who tuned in to my first streams with Eyes On Ears! You guys made it a success. I just want to say thank you to everyone who answered my questions regarding YouTube live features, etc.

If you guys have any suggestions on how I can improve for EOE or just suggestions in general I'm all ears:)

If you have any streaming tips I would love to hear them. You guys are the experts of Youtube live-streaming. lol

Happy streaming!

Great to have you join in the fun!  Experts, ha! if only.

Actually I think the biggest issue is bandwidth and stream stability. I would think that is something we could all talk about for all platforms. 

Any thoughts on improving through put? 

Ditto on the bandwidth and stability.  And welcome aboard JohnDisney!

As a caveat, I haven't done a lot of streaming from Disney but I have experimented a fair bit at home...

I'd add to that, the abilities of the camera and the device it may be attached to. They need to be able to reliably generate the data.  I've done some experimenting with a few devices, an old android phone (low end as cameras go these days), a newer android phone, a GoPro 7 (more advanced) and a cheap web cam on a Raspberry Pi.  All of them can establish a stream with varying levels of success.  I would argue, however, the camera is not the deciding factor.  In my case, the most successful device has been the low end android phone!  The Raspberry Pi was able to sustain a reliable stream...but at 7 frames per second.  It and that camera are not the best combination. It doesn't matter how snazzy the camera is, though, if you don't have the bandwidth to push the data.

So, a thought on improving through put...kinda out of our control.  Wifi and cellular data signal strength and congestion at that location probably has a bigger impact on the ability to send a stream than anything else.  These things we can't change.  Well, we may be able to do something in our own homes but while out and about we probably can't do much. Other than...

Minimize how much data you need to push.  My basis: I'm thinking a reliable stream is better than a choppy one at higher resolution.  We all would like a 1080 HD stream.  Looks good, impresses the viewers.  But, unless you have a really strong signal with an un-congested network it probably can't be sustained.  At least, in my experience.  I've had more success sustaining a stream by going with a lower resolution and a lower frame rate.  720p or 480p at 24 fps (if you can get it) has been the most successful for me.  Not cutting edge by any means but the lower end settings are far less demanding in terms of bandwidth and processing. Again, this is all just my experience trying to do a resort stream or a "home" stream in my experimentation. Your mileage may vary.  I think, though, most folks will think that bigger is better and go for a higher resolution and higher frame rate not considering cutting that back a bit.  Now if you do have a strong signal and open network...the HD does look durn good!

I haven't done a "parks" stream.  Mostly because I don't have an unlimited cellular plan but, I would imagine, the bandwidth availability is even more problematic while in the parks.  WiFi in the parks typically seems to not be up to the task and the sheer concentration of people all hitting the same data "pipe" while in the parks tends to lead to low bandwidth availability and fluctuating signal strength.  Even if not streaming this is noticeable.  So, again, pushing less data may help to maintain a stream at a reasonable rate. 

Just some random musings as I'm at work on a Friday!  I suppose I should go be productive now.  Bummer.

Edited by dbeedle

I was pleasantly surprised this last trip at the wifi stability.  Both at resort and in parks.  I don't have unlimited data either so I try to only use it when I can't get a stable wifi stream going.  But I managed to get quite a few park streams in.  It seems to depend on how busy the parks are and how many are streaming....I know, something we already knew :P 

I hope for more great streaming in September....and October!

1 hour ago, flounder1959 said:

I was pleasantly surprised this last trip at the wifi stability.  Both at resort and in parks.  I don't have unlimited data either so I try to only use it when I can't get a stable wifi stream going.  But I managed to get quite a few park streams in.  It seems to depend on how busy the parks are and how many are streaming....I know, something we already knew :P 

I hope for more great streaming in September....and October!

So, you're claiming you were stable on this trip?;)