Waternoose

Youtube Streaming - Stream Titles

This past week we were hit with 3 community strikes on 3 different channels.   That is bad and good ...

Good that it was 3 different channels because if an account receives 3 Community Guidelines strikes within a three-month period, the account will be terminated.   

Bad because we can only guess as to why we received them as they do not give any info on why.   Here is what we received ...

As you may know, our Community Guidelines describe which content we allow – and don’t allow – on YouTube. Your video ######### was flagged for review. Upon review, we’ve determined that it violates our guidelines. We’ve removed it from YouTube and assigned a Community Guidelines strike, or temporary penalty, to your account.

Video content restrictions
It's not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted, or repetitive content to YouTube. If the main purpose of your content is to drive people off of YouTube and onto another site, it will likely violate our spam policies. In addition, misleading descriptions, tags, titles, or thumbnails designed to increase views are not allowed. Tags should only be placed in the appropriate tag section and not in the description. Learn more.

The impact of strikes
This is the first strike applied to your account. We understand that users seldom intend to violate our policies. That’s why strikes don’t last forever – this strike will expire in three months. However, it’s important to remember that additional strikes could prevent you from posting content to YouTube or even lead to your account being terminated.

How you can respond
If you believe this was a mistake, we’d like to hear from you. Please follow both of these steps as simply deleting the video won’t resolve the strike on your account.
The next time you sign in you will be asked to acknowledge this strike on your account.

If you would like to appeal this strike, please submit this form. Our team will thoroughly review your appeal and will contact you again very soon.

Sincerely,
- The YouTube Team

I submitted an appeal for each of the 3 videos on Channel 1, Channel 5, and Channel 6 and each appeal was won.     My best guess to why we got the strikes is that their bot algorithm has changed and its picking up on our less than stellar video naming strategy....    

It is quick and easy to start a stream using "1" and go live ... or use  "epcot" and go live using the same title for 5 videos in a row, but my guess is that the bot is going to see these as spam and nail us with strikes.

I love that we have a community willing to share the magic with others and I hate coming across as if I am slapping the back of those generous members hands, but I want to ensure that this platform remains a viable solution for all of us.

With that said;  it only takes a few more seconds to put in a suitable title...

Examples:   

Disney's Animal Kingdom, walking tour around Asia.

Magic Kingdom Wishes fireworks from Caseys

Epcot world showcase walking the promenade

Error on the side of caution here, the more descriptive and unique you can be the better off it will be.

If you are planning on streaming and have any questions let us know - thanks!

I titled one video "Yacht and Beach Club Holiday Decorations" and the next "Swan and Dolphin Holiday Decorations", which was cut-off mid-stream. The Yacht and Beach Club stream was deleted (since returned), but the shortened Swan and Dolphin stream remained. I guess I don't get it. Was it because both the titles contained "Holiday Decorations?" I guess I don't see how the titles didn't fit the criteria Noose listed above. Should I have added walking? This issue also leads to difficulties when a streamer comes upon something unexpected that they wish to stream quickly. By the time a streamer thinks of an acceptable title (hopefully), the opportunity is mostly gone. I appreciate the work Noose did protesting the strikes and getting the streams restored, but I'm still not sure why he had to do it.

Edited by wihumphrey

We have asked for an explanation with all three appeals. While we did win the appeal, we did not receive any indication of why it was flagged in the first place. My guess is, Google / YouTube are constantly tweaking their bots. Most likely a tweak to the bots that monitor content for community guideline violations was released recently. These tweaks now look at our content a little bit differently. We have to believe that Google / YouTube do not want to spend a lot of time manually reviewing appeals and videos, so each appeal we make that gets over turned should be added to one of the next iterations of the bot. 

So what do we do? I believe the key item in the notice is: 

Video content restrictions
It's not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted, or repetitive content to YouTube. If the main purpose of your content is to drive people off of YouTube and onto another site, it will likely violate our spam policies. In addition, misleading descriptions, tags, titles, or thumbnails designed to increase views are not allowed. Tags should only be placed in the appropriate tag section and not in the description. Learn more.

It's not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted, or repetitive content to YouTube. - Possibly because we are a Disney channel, 40 videos labeled Epcot could make the Bot think we are streaming the same thing over and over. Or think that there really is not method to our madness

If the main purpose of your content is to drive people off of YouTube and onto another site, it will likely violate our spam policies. - Since the videos in question do not have links to them I am having a bit of difficulty guessing at this one. The only thing that comes to mind is that at one time it was common practice to add spaces to URLs or email address to fool bots that looked for emails to spam or bots that are there to make sure people are not sharing URLs. Text like AKL may trigger something like this

In addition, misleading descriptions, tags, titles, or thumbnails designed to increase views are not allowed. - Pretty much explains itself. If not all of at least most of us only create a title when live streaming. Tags, Descriptions etc all enhance the ability for people , and yes bots, to determine what we are trying to share. Blank tags and descriptions force the Bot to tack a guess based exclusively  on the title

All of this is me guessing at what is meant in the video content restrictions section. With no additional guidance from Google / YouTube , it is only a guess and leaves us frustrated and  confused. Your mileage may vary.

5 hours ago, wihumphrey said:

I'm still not sure why he had to do it.

Neither are we.  :(   They provide canned emails and responses with no constructive criticism or reason why an action was taken.  That leaves us guessing what we had done and what we need to do to correct it.   I see nothing wrong with the titles you used, they were perfect in my opinion so possibly their bot watches for time between uploads / videos / live streams and compares titles and content - I have no idea.    At this point we are just trying to be proactive and improve our processes and continue to learn as we go - we are still infants in this YT game.  

By adding a date to the title cause the bot to flag it as well? I have noticed a lot of the titles are the same stuff f not similar. I agree a bit more creativity on the naming of streams will help. Maybe something like this. Instead of main street USA name it hanging out on mains street USA. Then the next stream of the area change it up a bit like this. Being a tourist on Main Street.

No sure if this is already happening, but I would also suggest going through the recorded streams at least once a week to delete and clean them up a bit. 

On 12/4/2018 at 4:30 PM, nhlfan said:

No sure if this is already happening, but I would also suggest going through the recorded streams at least once a week to delete and clean them up a bit. 

We were planing to do that, but it looks like if we delete them, we loose the views and hours watched towards our goal to be able to embed