wdwnut

Replacing Photopass Photographers???

I read on FB that Disney may be replacing photopass photographers with an automated photopass system!!!   I DO NOT like that idea!  the candid shots would be gone not to mention people losing jobs.  Why would they even consider this??  They will be placing  an Automated photopass box at the tinker Bell meet and greet only.   You have to scan your  MB after seeing the photo.  How the heck is that going to replace photopass photographers!?  This idea gets a million thumbs down from Nut!  Said box is supposed to be rolled out by the end of the month.  If this is the new Photopass way, i would never buy photopass.  :angry:  Maybe I can move to Fla and start a personal photopass business and just follow families around for the day!  ;) 

Once again Disney trying to Cheap out!

I think they will lose a lot of photopass buyers.  Or do you think not enough people are buying photopass at the moment and they're trying this at a discounted cost?  I did not read what the cost will be but who knows.  

No, No, No....not a good idea!  They probably figure if there is no photo pass person there, there is nobody to take a pic with your camera.  Therefore people will buy photopass in a bucket.....no!

12 hours ago, flounder1959 said:

No, No, No....not a good idea!  They probably figure if there is no photo pass person there, there is nobody to take a pic with your camera.  Therefore people will buy photopass in a bucket.....no!

I think Flounder hit the nail on the head here.  Right now you can ask the photo pass person to take your picture with your own  for free, now with this box thing if you want the picture you have to buy it.

I don't agree with this. The photopass photographers are always so energetic, and really add to the magic of capturing the moment of your vacation. I do not agree with this idea at all. They should just stick to automatically capturing our pictures on attractions. 

Edited by ryknow

So in Sep, Photopass was all but useless. The system lost some of our pics to the point it required me to "fix" it 4 times till it stuck. I wonder how many people actually by photos or memory maker vs the ones that download all of their photos from their AP account for their friends and family? Seems Photopass is becoming more of a perk than money maker for them. Easier  to use fewer people than upgrade the sys I guess

i did read an update to the original article that stated "Photopass Photographers will NOT be replaced.  they will still be in 100's of locations around the parks but the "Box" will tested  at a few character spots in place of live people."  NO NO NO i say to that still.  Those of you with children (or adults) seeing the characters for the first time is an absolute priceless moment that a "photo box" will NEVER capture.  I can show you several examples of this.  It did sound like this mindless box would only be at the meets and not meals so far.  So you go in stand on the X and snap snap snap you get your picture taken, but DON'T step off the X!  This would have never worked at the Sully and Mike meet when Sully unexpectedly wrapped our friend in a "monster" hug off the dreaded X or when Donald and Daisy were "fighting" last year when my sister asked Daisy if Donald was going to put a ring on it!  They were so funny and one of the top character meets ever.  Now if that stupid mindless box was there how would they capture that?  Donald was pacing all over and Daisy was chasing him...never would work.  

<_< ok stepping off my soap box...for now...

On 11/19/2018 at 9:34 AM, wdwnut said:

i did read an update to the original article that stated "Photopass Photographers will NOT be replaced.  they will still be in 100's of locations around the parks but the "Box" will tested  at a few character spots in place of live people."  NO NO NO i say to that still.  Those of you with children (or adults) seeing the characters for the first time is an absolute priceless moment that a "photo box" will NEVER capture.  I can show you several examples of this.  It did sound like this mindless box would only be at the meets and not meals so far.  So you go in stand on the X and snap snap snap you get your picture taken, but DON'T step off the X!  This would have never worked at the Sully and Mike meet when Sully unexpectedly wrapped our friend in a "monster" hug off the dreaded X or when Donald and Daisy were "fighting" last year when my sister asked Daisy if Donald was going to put a ring on it!  They were so funny and one of the top character meets ever.  Now if that stupid mindless box was there how would they capture that?  Donald was pacing all over and Daisy was chasing him...never would work.  

<_< ok stepping off my soap box...for now...

Soooo .... will any of the examples show up in POTM????