Sign in to follow this  
dbeedle

Beginner streaming Qs...

Kicking around the idea of trying to do some streaming during a December trip and have a couple Qs...

I have a spare/old cell phone that I have thought of using, for, say, a resort stream.  Is this workable?  I have experimenting a bit with streaming though my own YouTube channel and it seems to do the job.  I may also, possibly, have a new GoPro by that time.  The new one offers live streaming over wifi.  I understand it's limited to a 720p resolution though.  Are folks doing 1080 or 720?  Or both/either as conditions allow?

Second, has the WiFi at the resorts and around the parks been adequate for streaming?  We don't have a ton of mobile data so, curiious if this is usable at the resorts and at the parks.

Finally, does anyone have experience streaming at the DL Resort area?  Our December trip starts in Orlando then Anaheim before coming home!

Kicking around the idea of trying to do some streaming during a December trip and have a couple Qs...

How exciting that you are considering joining our stream team! There are lots of support people here on EoE. They've helped us so much!!!

I have a spare/old cell phone that I have thought of using, for, say, a resort stream.  Is this workable?  I have experimenting a bit with streaming though my own YouTube channel and it seems to do the job.  I may also, possibly, have a new GoPro by that time.  The new one offers live streaming over wifi.  I understand it's limited to a 720p resolution though.  Are folks doing 1080 or 720?  Or both/either as conditions allow?

We have used a spare/ old cell phone for a resort stream. It does work. I have never set resolution. We use whatever we get which is usually 720p

Second, has the WiFi at the resorts and around the parks been adequate for streaming?  We don't have a ton of mobile data so, curiious if this is usable at the resorts and at the parks.

We always use Disney WiFi for our resort streams. We used a Verizon mobil hot spot and purchased data for our trips until this past September when our cell phone plan changed and we got unlimited data. We have not had good luck with Disney WiFi in the parks.

Finally, does anyone have experience streaming at the DL Resort area?  Our December trip starts in Orlando then Anaheim before coming home!

We have resort streamed from Paradise Pier and the Grand Californian using Disney WiFi. On our first trip we were not very successful getting WiFi in the DLR. We used the Verizon mobile hot spot in the parks for our 2nd trip. Seems like there were some dead spots in the parks.

Thanks for considering streaming for us! We really enjoy streaming. Hope you do too!

After some experimentation I have found that using my old cell phone for long term streaming is not too workable.  As it turns out the quality and reliability is not very good at all.  In addition, the phone with the cam running all the time uses battery faster than it charges. I'll do some experimenting with a web cam. I ordered a Logitech C310, a pretty inexpensive cam that I can use for other purposes too.  I'll see if I can feed that through a phone or tablet to YouTube.  I don't intend to travel with a lap top I'm afraid but that would make things easier!

To continue my notes...adding an external web cam does not seem to improve things.  At least with the phone I'm using quality, reliability and power are problematic at best for a long term, resort type, stream.  In my case, the phone is an older one.  Newer ones my have more horsepower for this sort of thing.  Power is difficult, especially with an external cam as most have only one port.  I have a phone with Qi/wireless charging so that allowed charging and recording at the same time but, charging, again, doesn't keep up with the power draw over a longer period.

2 hours ago, dbeedle said:

To continue my notes...adding an external web cam does not seem to improve things.  At least with the phone I'm using quality, reliability and power are problematic at best for a long term, resort type, stream.  In my case, the phone is an older one.  Newer ones my have more horsepower for this sort of thing.  Power is difficult, especially with an external cam as most have only one port.  I have a phone with Qi/wireless charging so that allowed charging and recording at the same time but, charging, again, doesn't keep up with the power draw over a longer period.

Overheating make a difference as well. The cam I use for my resort streams is an old Galaxy Note4 mini in a weather proof case. I plug that into a ac adaptor with a 2A output and as long as it does not over heat, i am good to go