Sign in to follow this  
deano426

fees

In addition to rising ticket and annual pass costs, Walt Disney World has also increased parking fees at its theme parks. Guests who park their vehicle at a Walt Disney World theme park can now expect to pay the following prices: 
  • Preferred parking: car or motorcycle – Now $50 per day, up from $45
  • Standard parking: car or motorcycle – Now $25 per day, up from $22
  • Oversized Vehicle Parking - Now $30 per day, up from $27 
Of course, parking for select annual passholders, hotel guests, and DVC members remains complimentary, but with these newly-raised prices for parking, for those guests who normally pay to park, it may actually be cheaper to take an Uber or Lyft to the theme parks than to pay these massive parking fees. 

Wow. Does anyone think they’ll eventually price some people out from coming with all these fees? I’ll still go of course. 

I don't go a lot as it is already since i thing the prices are high enough.  One trip every few years but I've also gone 4 or 5 years in between trips when the wallet wouldn't allow.  That being said anywhere you go i.e. other theme parks, concerts, sporting events it's all getting out of hand.  When i was a kid we used to go to NYC to see the Mets and Yankees all the time, now a family is lucky if they can go once.   I know plenty of families who would love to take their kids to Disney but just can't afford to go.  Makes me sad, Walt would want everyone to experience it at least once.   My dream trip is to go cross country in an RV to visit all the national parks but i keep going back to Disney...what draws us in so much?  

I think there are already people who have been priced out.  There are rumors that once SWL opens the tickets to get into HS will be close to $200 with this new ticket pricing they just put out.  Until the majority of people stop going, the prices will just keep getting higher and higher.

I was in a fan group over 10 years ago and there was a discussion exactly like this one. The following year WDW set an all-time attendance record. Seriously, when prices are raised in most businesses, how many times does the price come down? WDW is a business; a very large business and will continue to be run as a business. Our problem is that we love the product they sell. They will charge what the market allows. Dilemna.

Sadly for us the prices have now driven us off property. For our April trip I can rent a one bedroom suite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $1000 less than a room at POFQ. As much as I love staying on Disney property I just can't justify the extra thousand dollars plus parking to stay on property.

I guess I just like staying on property because i'm spoiled.  I have ALWAYS stayed on property because DH is not a Disney fan and refuses to fly so I have always gone with just the kids and friends (i know, he's a big 6'2" baby but i can't drug him and carry him on the plane, he's too heavy) so I rather not have to figure out how to get from point A to point B.  If I got lost outside of Disney and it cut my Disney time, I would not be a happy camper.   That being said, the high prices will most likely force me to always stay value or if it's possible I rent DVC points from a friend if we have a group more than 2.  I do cut back on food costs by bringing snacks and breakfast items with me or we order and have them delivered.  Flounder also smuggles some coconut rum or vanilla vodka with her so we can make our own cocktails from time to time.  We also take the earliest flight to Disney and latest flight home to maximize our Disney time!   And I don't go every year...just too expensive!

DVC perks are always in flux. AP discout goes up and down. Valet parking was there then taken away. Right now DVC perks seem to be on the up swing over all. Dining discoutns, merhcnadise discounts, Moonlight magic events.....

Chatted with a friend recently about Disney stock prices, they were down a little at the time.  We kinda wondered if Disney is finally hitting plateau.  Maybe the fees, in addition to making DIS more money, are being used to attempt to control attendance.  I can't help but notice that, even though the prices keep going up, they still have large crowds all the time.  Folks are still willing to pay the high price.  Is it still worth it?  Disney still does a good job, I think, at delivering a quality product but each price hike, in theory, should, deter some portion of folks who no longer see it as "worth it".  Economics price versus demand kind of thing.  But, large crowds make folks unhappy, I should think, and detracts from the "magic" so it makes some sense, to me anyway, that Disney would want to keep things more under control.  Of course, that's me thinking Disney really does want to deliver a quality product and not just gouge folks.

Regarding parking fees, I think, maybe, with the large crowds, this could be an effort to push folks towards shared transportation.  This could, not only ease traffic and parking demands but also foster a captive audience.  Once folks are on Disney property using Disney transportation, I would think, they would be less likely to leave. 

Just some odd ideas I have kicking around my head!

Edited by dbeedle