Sign in to follow this  
newharmony

As WDW gets more and more expensive, what do you do to save money?

Lots of Disney experts here...what do you do to SAVE money at WDW?  There are lots of ways to spend tons, but what do you do to save? 

One thing we've done is started packing lunches!! I take a small, collapsible lunch bag and pack things like lunchables, fruit, cookies and use frozen bottles of water as ice (to drink later). Spending $30 or $35 for a counter-service lunch is unacceptable!! 

We bring a brita water bottle and just refill it all day long to avoid paying for water.  You can ask any kiosk to fill it for you and they will :)   When we do counter service we tend to split a lot of meals to save money that way, a lot of the quick service meals are pretty big so easy to split.   I also have a Disney Visa card which I will use to rack up points. (always pay it off, don't want credit card debt :) )   Last trip in May I had $1200 since I missed out on the SSS trip due to Irma, it was a year and a half of getting points, was certainly more than I had ever racked up.  That paid for all our food  and we even got a shirt each.

I have water and breakfast/snacks delivered to the room. Always leave with a bottle of water in the morning.  Kids meals at quick service places are usually more than enough food (and healthier options)!  AP discounts too.  At SSS most times someone has tables in wonderland for 20% off, I really appreciate that!  Also use Disney gift cards bought at a discount to pay off room and folio bill before I leave.  Five percent is five percent!!

40 minutes ago, flounder1959 said:

I have water and breakfast/snacks delivered to the room. Always leave with a bottle of water in the morning.  Kids meals at quick service places are usually more than enough food (and healthier options)!  AP discounts too.  At SSS most times someone has tables in wonderland for 20% off, I really appreciate that!  Also use Disney gift cards bought at a discount to pay off room and folio bill before I leave.  Five percent is five percent!!

Great ideas, flounder! We always have breakfast in the room. OH brings a hotpot so I can make tea and Via (Starbucks instant coffee) if we stay in a resort with no coffee maker. When we camp, we rarely eat out. Kids' meals! Great idea, too. If you're lucky enough to have APs/DVC, always ask about discounts.

4 minutes ago, newharmony said:

Great ideas, flounder! We always have breakfast in the room. OH brings a hotpot so I can make tea and Via (Starbucks instant coffee) if we stay in a resort with no coffee maker. When we camp, we rarely eat out. Kids' meals! Great idea, too. If you're lucky enough to have APs/DVC, always ask about discounts.

With the renovated rooms, all rooms now should have coffeemakers.  At POP they have cusinart coffeemakers, and since All Stars are getting the same refurb, I would assume they will get the same.  I'm so thankful for morning coffee!!!

6 hours ago, pittsburgh_jim said:

I guess I'm the opposite.  I'll save throughout the year and then not have to worry about the money I spend at WDW.  My feeling is that I'm on vacation and if I want something, I'll buy it.  :)

I agree Jim, I just like to have water, etc. in my room and not have to run to the main building to get it (I drink a LOT of water when I'm there).  Convenience is nice, coffee in the room is even nicer!!  If i visited as often as OH/NH, I would definitely bring lunch, drinks, snacks like they do.  It gets expensive really fast! I do love my discounts though....love a bargain!

Edited by flounder1959

Well, to topic....I most always use AP discount.  If I didn't have an AP I would wait for another discount, would never pay full price for resort.  Have never done a package.  Jan trip to Boardwalk is with rented points from someone we know...very nice!

I figure i'll just save money by either hiding on the monorail or bus and when they park it for the night i'll sleep!  or find a lounge chair somewhere, a bench, sleep in a lobby.  If they question me i can say my husband or travel buddy kicked me out of the room!  Then i'll resort hop changing hotels every night! :rolleyes: