Sign in to follow this  
Waternoose

The Next Generation of EyesOnEars - How Many Videos do we keep?

We've finally got our first Youtube resort stream - THANKS BrotherDave - great Wilderness Lodge view!!!  

Current feed is going strong 20 hours in I think; that's great for watching the live streams, but were thinking it likely wont make for the best saved video content.

With that in mind we have few ideas to share with the community and would like to get your feedback and hear any objections prior to deploying our game plan; or at least give you a heads of of those plans.

We're thinking that we may want to keep the best "resort" streams from a particular angle and time of day.  So with BrotherDave's streams from this particular angle we would select the best day time stream and the best night time stream and remove the others which are very similar in nature.   We might also edit the content down to a viewable time frame - doubt anyone will watch a non-live video for longer than 10-15 minutes.   Ustream automatically deleted videos after a time frame, with Youtube we will need to do the management manually.

What do you think?

Do you know how long Youtube would actually record and save a video? I use to record on UStream and it would automatically stop recording and save after 3 hours. I could then just Upload that to Youtube and save it. I still have people that watch those videos and put them on loop. They are all MK view videos.   

I ran for 24hrs plus. But it failed to save. I think 12 is about the limit at the moment, and that seems to have to do with passing community standards. Meaning the longer we do this, the longer the length of video we can save.

We are thinking of making this a seris of regular discussion on how to enhance EOE

The move to YouTube from Ustream presents EOE with some exciting new options as well as new challenges.

For this thread we would like your thoughts on the videos that are being saved to Youtube. We are all hear to share in the Disney Magic live while it happens, but what should we do with the live streams after they are saved? I think we can all agree that 500 versions of essentially the same room view or event will fill the channels with a lot of content that will make it difficult to find the good stuff.

So here is what we are thinking.

For Room views:

These are great live! But how many of us are going to really sit and watch my " A day in the life of the canal as viewed from Old Key West" for 24hours straight? It is kind of fun to have but it really is a bit much.

But if I edit that down to say the best 1,2,3 hours and save that? Then Tag it with the year and building or maybe year and room? Then people could use it to compare year over year. And maybe use it to get an idea of what room to ask for before booking. If we have multiple videos from the same room or building then we save the best one.

For Events:

How many recorded views of the entire parade do we need? Similar to the room view, we plan to keep the best one (based on location, quality etc) for the year or maybe the season. That way we can do the same thing and look back at what changed year over year.

Thoughts? Ideas? Comments?

Yep, after you meet a certain channel/account threshold they increase the video length.  When you first open an account videos can not be longer than 15 minutes.    Its pretty easy to get over those first few hurdles and then they open it up to 12 hour length for saved videos.   As Fix discovered as long as you have a connection you can stream live for much longer than that; it just will create issues saving and will add additional work/time to remove it afterwords.

BrotherDaves latest video stopped at 27 hours long - it says it is processing it; I am guessing based on the 12 hour limit that that process will fail. 

The maximum file size you can upload is 128GB or 12 hours, whichever is less. 

Okay, I was just wondering on the limits. I know I can upload videos that are 3 hours because that was the limit for the UStream videos that I uploaded from UStream. Just never tried loading anything any longer. Like you all have said before, most people are not going to sit and watch a video for more than 15 - 20 minutes max, except for a few. I myself do cast them onto a large screen tv at work when I am on the midnight shift and play the MK view videos I have done for hours on end when I am working alone. Its great hearing the boat whistles and train whistles and the sounds of Disney in the background. I play a lot of those 5-minute bench videos that people do and have linked a lot together to make it an entire shift worth. Make the time go by much faster.  

Fiz, I really like the idea you have for room views. Saving just the best and editing the footage to no more than three hours would be great! Same for event videos. I just hope that no one gets insulted if their video is replaced with one that is deemed "better." But, if there's a way for the person who did the stream to save their own videos to their YouTube account, that could be a solution.

I don‘t anticipate removing a lot of park videos, it’s the resort views that will get filtered the most.  The primary reason park views might be removed would be for quality, lots of buffering etc. other than that we will keep all of the streams, until youtube tells us we have too many.  

2 hours ago, mickeyman said:

I made a 6 hour dvd of the poly and mkg  that I play on my computer instead of a screensaver. It helps pass the day when I'm working in my garage.

Wow, cool!

I agree Fiz, keep the best views of events and room view for comparison.  I don't always get to watch the streams live while at work so I do try to go back and watch the recorded videos.  I like that feature and I think it's easier to do this with you tube.  Can we can keep current ones for a certain time period and then decide if it's one worth keeping?  I don't mean that some streams are not worthy, I love to watch ANYTHING anyone is streaming and all streams are ver much appreciated!   But if someone streams their trip this week it might take me a few days to go back through and watch the reruns.

22 minutes ago, wdwnut said:

I agree Fiz, keep the best views of events and room view for comparison.  I don't always get to watch the streams live while at work so I do try to go back and watch the recorded videos.  I like that feature and I think it's easier to do this with you tube.  Can we can keep current ones for a certain time period and then decide if it's one worth keeping?  I don't mean that some streams are not worthy, I love to watch ANYTHING anyone is streaming and all streams are ver much appreciated!   But if someone streams their trip this week it might take me a few days to go back through and watch the reruns.

All good ideas, keepo em comin

I am wondering if it would be possible to maintain access to the channel that we streamed from so that I can transfer/keep the videos I would like?  I used to go into ustream and grab the ones I wanted and upload them to my youtube account.  Nostalgia, tinklittle growing up, etc prompted me to do this. 

I understand if this isn't possible..maybe I could reserve a day in which I could grab whatever videos I wanted.

Thanks!

Should not be an issue. As we are still working out the best way to handle things, we are planning to cycle people and andout of channels. You can keep access. Let me know how it goes downloading. 

people keep hundreds of videos on their you tube channels. its  a great way to get channel views and subs, in the long run this would help generate money through ads and help cover the yearly costs of the EoE web site itself. its a win win!

I still need to figure out why I could not get access to the EoE channel that Fiz set me up with on our past trip or else I will never be able to stream on here again.

Is there any way we could do some testing Fiz before January 25 Fiz? Maybe set me up with a channel that's not getting used but don't stream it here or something. 

Edited by Mrhub

47 minutes ago, Mrhub said:

I still need to figure out why I could not get access to the EoE channel that Fiz set me up with on our past trip or else I will never be able to stream on here again.

Is there any way we could do some testing Fiz before January 25 Fiz? Maybe set me up with a channel that's not getting used but don't stream it here or something. 

Certainly! Lets get you all set.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, Mrhub said:

@Mrhub I will send you an invite to 6 That is teh one less used at the moment

On 10/23/2018 at 11:45 AM, Mrhub said:

Just checked and yes , got the invite, accepted and it worked this time. 

Woot! Did you figure out why it did not work in Sep?

On 10/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, Fizbain said:

Woot! Did you figure out why it did not work in Sep?

no I have no idea. I did accept on my PC rather than my mac though.