Fizbain

Ad supported ustream, going the way of the dodo

On 6/21/2018 at 8:58 AM, TiggerPiglet said:

Will we still be able to sign into chat?  That's through ustream; right?

Chat is currently being run through a different chat server and would not be affected by Ustream

All of the sites are going to a pay to stream model and their prices are very steep;  truly do not see how they will stay in business! 

The best option is youtube right now because it is free; however they require to you to run ads,  and will only review channels after reaching 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and getting 1,000 subscribers.    Only then will they allow channels to embed the video on a site other than youtube.  So streams would be based on youtube until those milestones were met.    Might be our only option if we are to maintain our own eoe channels as we dont have 1000 active members to get all those subs in the next two months.  :(    

What will the switch to youtube mean for resort streams? Will they be the same, or will youtube be used for mobiles only?  We're thinking of doing more, but shorter DVC stays at WDW and using points for Aulani for long stays. If we won't be doing resort streams, we won't use points for Boardwalk or ocean views, but get a more standard view using fewer points. We have happily used points for nice views to share, but if we won't be streaming them on EoE we'll go with fewer points/longer stays.  :) 

7 hours ago, newharmony said:

What will the switch to youtube mean for resort streams? Will they be the same, or will youtube be used for mobiles only?  We're thinking of doing more, but shorter DVC stays at WDW and using points for Aulani for long stays. If we won't be doing resort streams, we won't use points for Boardwalk or ocean views, but get a more standard view using fewer points. We have happily used points for nice views to share, but if we won't be streaming them on EoE we'll go with fewer points/longer stays.  :) 

We would plan to use Youtube for everything. I find it easier to use Youtube for a resort stream using pc and web cam then to use it for mobile. If you have an android device, it will want to sync your phone with the EOE Youtube / Google account. Not everyone will know or want to know the best way to set that up then delete it.

1 hour ago, Fizbain said:

We would plan to use Youtube for everything. I find it easier to use Youtube for a resort stream using pc and web cam then to use it for mobile. If you have an android device, it will want to sync your phone with the EOE Youtube / Google account. Not everyone will know or want to know the best way to set that up then delete it.

Will resort streams on youtube be available to the public, or will they be protected somewhat, like streams on EoE?

14 hours ago, newharmony said:

Will resort streams on youtube be available to the public, or will they be protected somewhat, like streams on EoE?

Technically, the Ustreams today are public. But, most people do not know how to find them there so they do feel more protected. We may be able to set a youtube channel to private, but that would probably prevent us from embedding it into EOE. Right now, it looks like until we get 1k subscribers and 4k hours viewed, the only way to see a live stream on an EOE youtube channel is on Youtube. I/we still need to work out a plan , a process etc... There are still many potential gotchas along the way

https://www.youtube.com/user/EyesOnEars

I  have started adding channels under that main account.   

Subscribe to the main channel and all other EOE channels as well.    i.e.  EyeOnEars 1,  EyesOnEars 2 etc as they are added

This is totally new to me so like Fiz said, we are going to learn as we go.

9 minutes ago, Waternoose said:

https://www.youtube.com/user/EyesOnEars

I  have started adding channels under that main account.   

Subscribe to the main channel and all other EOE channels as well.  

This is totally new to me so like Fiz said, we are going to learn as we go.

Ok subscribed

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, Waternoose said:

All of the sites are going to a pay to stream model and their prices are very steep;  truly do not see how they will stay in business! 

The best option is youtube right now because it is free; however they require to you to run ads,  and will only review channels after reaching 4,000 watch hours in the previous 12 months and getting 1,000 subscribers.    Only then will they allow channels to embed the video on a site other than youtube.  So streams would be based on youtube until those milestones were met.    Might be our only option if we are to maintain our own eoe channels as we dont have 1000 active members to get all those subs in the next two months.  :(    

Do you think it would it help to get more viewers to YouTube if maybe a link to the YouTube channel was put right on the EoE home page.  So even if someone stumbles onto EoE, they may clink the YouTube link to see what it is about???

I tried but cannot get the Youtube live to work on my lap tops or my desk top, but I can steam from my IPhone. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

Edited by Mrhub

41 minutes ago, Mrhub said:

I tried but cannot get the Youtube live to work on my lap tops or my desk top, but I can steam from my IPhone. I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong.

errors? or the camera button is a no show?

I've subscribed to all channels via both of my Google/YouTube accounts. Still only 15% of the way to 1,000 though. :( It might be a good idea to upload some content to each of the channels (a few long saved videos from resort streams perhaps?) so it might be possible to start getting the view-count going too? 4,000 hours to viewing time will take a while to amass though. 

I wasn't sure that YouTube even supported 24/7 live feeds, is there a connect time limit?

Andre

2 hours ago, Andre said:

I've subscribed to all channels via both of my Google/YouTube accounts. Still only 15% of the way to 1,000 though. :( It might be a good idea to upload some content to each of the channels (a few long saved videos from resort streams perhaps?) so it might be possible to start getting the view-count going too? 4,000 hours to viewing time will take a while to amass though. 

I wasn't sure that YouTube even supported 24/7 live feeds, is there a connect time limit?

Andre

Yes, I will be getting some streams/videos uploaded soon.  

Our resort streaming will change a bit from what it was at ustream.  YouTube live does have a limit so we won’t be able to run a live stream 24/7 for days.   I believe the length of a live stream is 8 hours, but have seen several sites say 12 up to 36 hours, so we will have to develop a game plan.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:53 PM, Fizbain said:

errors? or the camera button is a no show?

the only option it gives me is the built-in webcam for the laptops. Won't even recognize either of my Logitech camera's or my Camcorder.