Fizbain

Ad supported ustream, going the way of the dodo

I am sure you are all aware that Ustream is the blood that flows through the veins of EOE. This is the service that allows our streamers to share their vacations with the rest of us Disney Fanatics. It has been a love hate relationship over the last few years but one that we have needed to embrace.

Ustream is announcing the closing of the ad supported channels that EOE uses on Aug 1 2018. 

While this is not really a surprise since they were purchased by IBM, it does leave us in search of a new service. 

See below copy paste from the ustream email. I will try to keep you updates as we discover more.

Excerpt from email:

Free plan will be discontinued in 2 months

Come August 1st, 2018, IBM Cloud Video (formerly Ustream) will be sunsetting ad supported free streaming.

As part of this change, your ad supported free account will no longer be able to broadcast or have viewers watch your content.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for you. To keep your videos and access to our streaming platform, please upgrade to a paid plan before August 1. This will also provide you with lots of premium features.

We hope you will upgrade and stay with us. If you decide not to upgrade, be sure to download any remaining videos and data, because you will not be able to use our product starting August 1.

This arouses my totally ignorant to technology curiosity. What new services would be available? For instance, would an EOE YouTube channel be an alternative? Are there others? This is an interesting topic for discussion.

1 hour ago, kbmum said:

This is a bad move on their part. I think they'll lose a lot of streamers.

Agreed, but they must have determined the amount of revenue lost ver what it takes to maintain is not worth it. Must have lost ROI. Probably too many people running ad blockers

2 hours ago, wihumphrey said:

This arouses my totally ignorant to technology curiosity. What new services would be available? For instance, would an EOE YouTube channel be an alternative? Are there others? This is an interesting topic for discussion.

The key we need to find is cost and can we embed. 

Facebook live for example seems to create a new URL for every video so we can not embed that into EOE

YouTube live seemed to be that way as well, but if you notice, the DL HoJo cam is embeded in a web page. SO that is encouraging. 

So, please, search around for live stream options. Lets see what we find

When IBM purchased Ustream, it was pretty clear where they were headed.  You can hardly find an internet service that is not subscription based and IBM is following that model.  Their focus is on the "big bucks" accounts (business/professional/corporate) and discontinue the free ad-supported accounts.  It's a loss for the "little guy", for sure.  There will be two plans:  professional and enterprise.   A professional plan costs $99 up to $999/month (100-5000 streaming hours depending on the plan you chose)  Clearly, most of those with free accounts cannot afford and/or justify such a high subscription fee. Unfortunately, the options for an alternative to IBM/Ustream are very limited as far as I can tell. 

Facebook Live has grown by leaps and bounds, but it is not without its limitations.  Some that come to mind are the lower video quality and time restrictions (I think there is a 4-hour limitation per stream)  All streams would have to be generated through the EoE facebook page and viewed on FB.  I am not aware of a way to embed those streams to a website as I write this.  

YouTube live is also very popular now.  The video quality is top notch and can be embedded.  However, unlike Ustream, each YouTube live stream has its own embed code, so keeping a website updated with the current live streams would be very time consuming and a lot of ongoing work.   

Livestream is subscription based and has never been an affordable option. 

Not good news for individuals or small sites..... but the days of anything for free on the interest are pretty much history.

Edited by HiddenMickey

Thanks for all the great input!

So far YouTube seems the most promising. Once  waternoose is able to start working on testing, I hope to start trying this out. 

Certainly, continue the search! Any and all info is welcome

I don't know if there is a way to EASILY put FB streams on EoE, but we streamers who are on FB could have a separate FB page just for streaming. Just use our nicknames instead of real names. I have something kinda like that now...the problem might be getting the live streams here.

7 hours ago, newharmony said:

I don't know if there is a way to EASILY put FB streams on EoE, but we streamers who are on FB could have a separate FB page just for streaming. Just use our nicknames instead of real names. I have something kinda like that now...the problem might be getting the live streams here.

It certainly is an alternative idea.  Preface the name with EOE and a search would bring up the streamers names, EOE Flounder. 

9 hours ago, newharmony said:

@newharmony There are some great option in FB. Unfortunately most of them would mean doing everything in FB. No that it won't, I just have not found a way as yet. If we all want to continue in this format, we will need to find a live video stream that we can embed the channel.  

We have 10 pages, I have not received one email from them notifying me about this;  seems they are going to be dropping the surprise on everyone in two months.  :(

Silver plan is $99/month = 100 add-free viewer hours 50¢ per additional VH and that only give us 1 channel.

Gold plan is $499/month = 2,000 ad-free viewer hours 25¢ per additional VH and that only give us 2 channels.

Pro plan is $999 / month = 5,000 ad-free viewer hours 20¢ per additional VH and that only give us 3 channels.

September-October 2017 we had 3800 view hours; so we would surely need 2 pro plans for 6 channels so $2000/month or 24,000 a year.

WOW thats cheap huh?  ROFL!!!!

I/EOE are non-profit I dont and never have made a dime off the videos or the website so unless I win the lottery (I dont play) our days are numbered. 

Thanks IBM!

I know nothing about hardware/software, etc...but I can Google!!  I read something about Word Press (maybe for your web site?) and putting live FB streams there? It would probably only work for mobiles. And I saw something called DaCast...??  And like I said, I know practically nothing!!

From what my slow brain has taken in, it seems that alternatives to Ustream  would be limited to mobile streaming only. Though I would miss the resort view cams, I get we can only do what is possible. Besides, our biggest headaches with Disney involved resort views. Still, I would miss them.

7 minutes ago, wihumphrey said:

From what my slow brain has taken in, it seems that alternatives to Ustream  would be limited to mobile streaming only. Though I would miss the resort view cams, I get we can only do what is possible. Besides, our biggest headaches with Disney involved resort views. Still, I would miss them.

Like newharmony does, could resort stream when in the room perhaps.  I too would miss the resort streams, however "you take what you get and you don't get upset" is my motto....thankful for whatever we can do :)

1 hour ago, wihumphrey said:

I use an old Galaxy S5 for my room feed already. So I am already mobile :ph34r:

5 hours ago, VegasMike said:

I saw this coming a while ago. About the only solution would be to setup a EOE streaming server. Free software is available but someone would have to run the server. They would also need ample bandwidth. 75 Mbps or so.

Check out red5.org 

Hi MIke! Nice to see you here :) Thanks for joining in the conversation!