EyesOnEars - Disney Forums + Live Disney Webcams

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

weatherwatcher514

What happened with our resort stream

As many of you already know, we had to pull down our resort stream only a few days into our recent trip. It was not our choice to do so but it appears Disney may have a new policy in regards to resort streaming. Here's what happened and how we got to where we are now.

On Sunday December 10th Karen and I headed to Disney Springs for brunch and to do some shopping. When we returned to our room later that afternoon neither of our magic bands would open the door to our room. We quickly headed to the front desk to report our problem. After speaking with the gentlemen at the desk he told us that the duty manager needed to speak with us. We at that point figured it had to be the camera.

After keeping us waiting for several minutes, which was making Karen a bit anxious, the duty manager, Pete came over and introduced himself. I introduced myself and Karen and he said to me "Oh yes, the news reporter." Karen and I then looked at each other and I asked how he knew that I worked in news. He said "Oh I googled you." Needless to say we were taken by surprise that he had done that as opposed to trying to call either one of us and let us know there was a problem but he claimed he had the phone in his hand to call us when he got the news we were at the desk. He then told us that the camera needed to come down as Disney no longer allowed resort streams. Mousekeeping spotted the camera and reported it to security. Obviously we were not going to argue and agreed. He walked us back to our room and let us in. We then took the cam down and less than five minutes later Karen noticed someone slowly drive by our room looking carefully at our window to make sure our cam was down.

Needless to say Karen and I were a bit upset and did not sleep well that night. She was not happy about the fact that they just locked us out of the room without so much as a phone call. We decided to stop at the desk in the morning to try to speak with the general manager. We instead were handed off to a new duty manger named Todd. He took us into a quiet room where we explained everything that happened and how we were treated. He was surprised to hear we were locked out of the room without a phone call and about us being looked up on google. He was also aware that there were many of us that resort streamed and even mention Andre and his Port Orleans website. He was unsure of any new policy that prohibited a resort stream but made a few phone calls with us sitting there but could not get us an answer on the spot. He said he was going to look into the issue and get back to us.

Several days later the response we got from Todd was that due to current events in the world Disney's new policy is that resort streaming is no longer allowed. He claimed that there is a general managers meeting coming up in January and that this would probably be brought up during the meeting. According to Todd this policy SHOULD be in place at all resorts but of course he could not confirm. He also stated that their "social media" department should take a look at this, as they know there are many of us that resort and mobile stream.

So that's what happened with us. I told Todd that should we decide to return to Disney property I would reach out to him and see if that policy has changed and he welcomed me doing so. Until we hear otherwise we only plan to mobile stream going forward. If anyone plans on resort streaming and the camera is spotted hopefully they are treated better and not locked out of their room.

So sorry that you had to go through this WW;  I am astonished to hear of the actions of this Pete character!   It was bad enough that they locked you out of your room, but searching you on Google should be considered unacceptable behavior by any Disney employee!    Further it is unfortunate that the general manager pawned you off; this IMO was a big enough issue that they should have handled it directly.  :(

In EOS's 9-10 years and thousands of streams we have had a handful of members have issues with streaming.  NewHarmony had a pretty bad experience a few years ago, but your case is the worse I have heard.   IMHO, Disney should be ashamed of their actions and I cant believe they didn't make this right with you and your wife.

As far as a new policy that disallows photography/videography of public spaces; I'd be very surprised if Disney moves in that direction.  Not only would it be a logistics nightmare enforcing; it would affect the majority of their guest who carry a camera and use them.

Again, I am so sorry you had a bad experience simply trying to share a piece of the magic with all of us.

Thank you for the kind words Noose and no apologies necessary. At least we were still able to mobile stream. We are probably still going to fire off a letter to corporate and see where that gets us, if anywhere. At the very least a certain manager needs some retraining on customer service.

We certainly were disappointed that the GM either was unable or would not deal with us directly. While we do appreciate the way that Todd worked with us on this issue, we still kind of have a sour taste over how this whole thing was handled.

Certainly locking people out of their room gets the guests attention. It baffles me why it always seems that is their first line of interaction. Is the intent to "shame" guests by having them "report" to the manager? Voice mail to the room, note left in the room, heck they normally have your cell phone. 

So sorry to hear you had to deal with this. Thanks for all your sharing!

44 minutes ago, Fizbain said:

It baffles me why it always seems that is their first line of interaction. Is the intent to "shame" guests by having them "report" to the manager? Voice mail to the room, note left in the room, heck they normally have your cell phone.

Yes it is very sad that they choose to treat their guest (who have paid very handsomely) like some sort of criminal.   More and more I am learning that no matter the cost we are all a dime a couple two or three dozen to Disney; they just don't care like they used to.  :(   

I still don't understand why they have issues with resort streaming and not mobile streaming.   Someone videoing right at the pool to me is more likely to be filming something he shouldn't than a web cam from a room where people's faces are not recognizable.  

If they are going to say now that this is because of what happened in Vegas, you don't need to have a cam out your window to case the area around your room, you can just look at the window and do that.

I love how some people will complain about a webcam that is obviously aimed at the view  from a room, yet those same  people will walk by hundreds of people a day in the park mobile streaming, taking pictures without a care in the world.  Do these people that complain about webcams realize how many videos and pictures of other people they are in and if they happen to walk past a webcam the odds are that cam will not pick up on their facial features to even identify them.

I can understand the fear. People do not want to feel like they are being stalked. For me the comparison is to your cell phone. People will not think twice about loading up all of their personal info into their cell phone. Allow every app they have to monitor their activities on the phone. Who they call, when they call, who they text, when the text, what they text.... but then get concerned about privacy when a camera is up. 

I believe that hotels and resorts feel they need to show that they are doing "something" to make things more secure. I agree that banning resort streaming might seem trivial in comparison to mobile streaming and other cell phone uses, but for Disney, it is also much easier to enforce. Stopping cell phone use is impossible. Stopping some isolated resort cams, using housekeeping staff to discover them, is much easier. It gives the "appearance" of more security even if it's not.

So have we heard any more on this?  Have any other streamers had issues with resorts streams?  I have an April trip with a savannah view and would love to be able to stream it. 

1 hour ago, MooseTV said:

So have we heard any more on this?  Have any other streamers had issues with resorts streams?  I have an April trip with a savannah view and would love to be able to stream it. 

I have not heard anything back as of yet. I did send a letter a little over a week ago and am yet to hear back. When and if I do hear something I will be sure to post.

Yes, knock on wood we streamed, no interruption..but it faced a waterway?  our cam is also very small, tucked under a railing so anyone seeing it from the ground, etc might have a hard time. We tape the cord going out the door and close and lock the door, pull the sheers when we are not in the room.  Plus, we were only there for trash and towel, not full clean..that may make a difference.  Also, the day of trash and towel, I was in the room until past noon doing some work.  I think Mousekeeping had to do a very quick exchange of things.

Plus, we had to change rooms, since our original room smelled horribly of mold and mildew.  I took pics of the mildew on the curtains. We bought Fe breeze and tried to take care of the issue ourselves but I couldn't deal with it a second night and told them i was not sleeping in a moldy room and possibly getting sick  I had to argue a little bit to get a fresh room.  At first, none were available and then magically, one opened up. We ere moved by Bell Services at 9pm on Tuesday night. We originally checked in on Monday evening.  Maybe they just didn't want to make me further upset.

I've also raised this as a question with my management contacts at POR by the way, who are checking but I've not had a real response as yet.

Andre

7 hours ago, Andre said:

I've also raised this as a question with my management contacts at POR by the way, who are checking but I've not had a real response as yet.

Andre

Thanks so much @Andre

Just an FYI...  We were here yesterday afternoon when we had a knock at the door. When OH opened the door, the man said he was there for "trash and safety check."   OH handed him our trash...the man did not try to come into the room, but we were here. Not sure what would happen if we weren't so we take our cam down every time we leave. (Luckily, it's easy up and down).