Sign in to follow this  
Fizbain

No more Do Not Disturb Signs

I was going to post this very article lol.  I assume it's to make sure you don't have stuff in your room you shouldn't have, but there are times we come back to the room in the middle of the afternoon for a break and put that "Do Not Disturb" sign up so we can relax or take a nap. So I guess now we really can't be assured of not being disturbed, because having that sign up will not keep them from knocking on the door and wanting to come in.   All I can say is make sure when you shower or doing some sort of adult activity you have that deadbolt on ;)

If they are stupid enough to bust in during my adult activity, then it is their own fault they go blind. Maybe I should get WDW to sign a waiver stating that I can not be held responsible for any blindness caused by them entering my room when the occupied sign is up. :ph34r::D:blink:

17 hours ago, Fizbain said:

If they are stupid enough to bust in during my adult activity, then it is their own fault they go blind. Maybe I should get WDW to sign a waiver stating that I can not be held responsible for any blindness caused by them entering my room when the occupied sign is up. :ph34r::D:blink:

Bust in during my adult activity? Really? I mean I need to drink alone. It's my thing. Wait...........That's what you meant by adult activity,........right?:unsure:

12 minutes ago, Fizbain said:

My thoughts too @newharmony

After @weatherwatcher514 indicated they told him it is now policy to not allow them. It makes me wonder if they now consider that a security risk?

I know Housekeeping has always had trouble with guests who left their "Do Not Disturb" signs out after they left. But honestly, I believe Las Vegas changed everything for hotels.

43 minutes ago, Fizbain said:

My thoughts too @newharmony

After @weatherwatcher514 indicated they told him it is now policy to not allow them. It makes me wonder if they now consider that a security risk?

Yes, ww514 said they believed it was housekeeping that found their cam. OH said we need to rethink our resort streaming.

I think next time someone checks in they should ask....can't hurt.  If there is a new policy I'd like to see it...not to start a fight but I'd just like to know.  Every other policy is "headline news", why not that one.  Especially if they are going to harass, embarrass, lock out, etc.  It could save everyone a "bad taste" from an unnecessary incident.

4 hours ago, wihumphrey said:

The only other place that does resort-specific streams, that I know of, is that one that steals ours from ustream. That's what makes EOE somewhat unique. Lots of places do live streaming, so if this is an actual new policy at WDW, it is worrisome.

That's what I was thinking too!  I know of no other sites that have live streams from the resorts, and whether there is someone sitting with the camera while its streaming or its fixed to the window...what should it matter?  We don't stream any views that are invasive to other guests.  I'd just like to see the policy, that's all.  For clarity.  Shouldn't be a pick and choose according to which manager is on shift, IMO.

One last thought...if I put a sign that I am sleeping and its 9:00 AM, they better not bang on the door.  If it is 3pm, then they can bang or call....when you are paying for the vacation, you should be able to sleep in if you want.  There should be some system in place for the "morning of rest" after a late night.

"•Your in-room experience has never been more important to us. That's why we will begin removing trash from your rooms at Disney Vacation Club resorts on a daily basis in addition to regular housekeeping visits. The daily service begins December 22, 2017, at five resort properties (Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, The Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian, Disney's Grand Californian and Aulani). The service extends to all other Disney Vacation Club resorts on January 7, 2018."

Above is the notice that went to DVC members. We usually put the "Do not disturb" sign on the door for our entire stay since with that we only miss one housekeeping visit, and even when we have had housekeeping come in they have never disturbed or questioned our laptop/cam. I think asking for info on policy when we arrive is asking for trouble!  They would undoubtedly say "no" or "let me ask management".  Even asking housekeeping might lead to the same answers now and we don't want to put them in a bad spot...we know some of the longtime staff at BWV.  OH is tending toward only streaming when we are in the room, maybe with a phone. Taking a cam down when someone knocks on your door would be a hassle. Leaving a cam up when we're not there seems too risky for us. We have been asked/told to take our cam down 3 times now. No fun, and like OH says, the next time could mean "banned for life"!  We have too much invested in Disney to take a chance. Unless there is something forthcoming from Disney saying it's okay to put a camera in your room, we will only stream when we are there. (We are in the room quite a bit. OH usually naps daily, and we're often in the room before 9pm!)

* This new policy doesn't affect our stays at Fort Wilderness. I see no problem with streaming from there (unless someone is monitoring EoE).

Edited by newharmony

Over the years we have had numerous @disney.com individuals on our site, in our chat, and watching our streams.   We have never heard anything from them indicating what we were doing was not acceptable.   Likewise I have spoken with several resort managers over the years and they all have said they had no issues with it.     Resorts of course have asked streamers to remove cameras if another guest expresses a concern, but as long as the streams have been streaming public areas there has been no real issue to date.     If they are actually going to implement a streaming ban / resort policy Disney-wide I would be very surprised for a variety of reasons.

The only thing I have ever seen posted by Disney is there policy on "professional photographers"

Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting Walt Disney World Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Walt Disney World Resort properties or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Walt Disney World Resort Media Relations.

We are not acting as professional photographers, nor do we do this for professional purposes nor for profit.   We do this because we love the magic and sharing that with as many people as we can brings us great satisfaction.   It could be argued that EOE and its many awesome streamers provide a great service to Disney. 

I've always advised our streamers to not stream private backstage spaces, don't stream pools areas out of respect, and in general only show spaces that are open to the general public as you have no expectation of privacy in those areas even on privately owned property.    

As for the daily room cleaning,  I'd argue that their guest pay way too much money to have their privacy invaded while on vacation!  Not only that, plenty of people simple do not trust the cleaning staff; we have had several members here (in our very small world) have item stolen from their rooms.      I  have a feeling there is something more going on here, time will tell.    

Anyway,  if we get a cease and deist order you will be the first to know.  ;)

Edited by Waternoose
Added Disney Policy

I am curious who told WW that POFQ had a new policy.    I personally spoke with the manager our last stay at POR after security asked me to take my camera down.    The manager stated it was perfectly fine to have the camera taking video of the public space and apologized to me for the security guards actions.   I ran the camera the remainder of our stay without issue.   It seemed to me there was a lack of understanding among staff and quite possibly the lack of a policy that led to confusion.   With that said it is possible they have finally crafted something; if so I would love to see it.

Andre is as close to anyone that I know with POR (I figure they would have similar policy at POFQ) so if they are stating a new policy disallowing photography of pubic spaces we should be able to get that confirmed very quickly.    I'll reach out to him to see if he has heard anything about a new policy.

Todd was the second duty manager we dealt with who actually went through channels to try and get us an answer as to what Disney's policy on resort streaming actually is. He certainly appeared to do more for us then Pete, who just locked us out of our room with not so much as a phone call. I do have Todd's contact information so if it is needed let me know and I can DM it to you.

I just don't get this locking guests out of their room thing. I believe, if my fading memory recalls, that the Harmonies were also locked out of their room because of their room cam. For crying out loud, they have all your contact info so why does Disney sink to such low extremes? Belle and I were not contacted when our room was flooded, but were left to discover it at a very late hour. They KNEW ABOUT THE FLOODING but didn't text or call to alert us of the situation. They have contact info...........so contact! It's like: "What's the most disrespectful way we can handle this." For a place historically known for customer service, what gives?

Rant over. Happy Holidays everyone!

Locking people out of their room to discuss an issue in the room is not unlike towing somes cars because they left the lights on so you can be sure you get to talk to them to let them know they left their lights on. 

I believe the daily trash collection email from DVC is a spin to make people think it is a good idea that we stop in and do a  sweep of you room before picking up the trash on the way out. 

I think WI nailed it

On 12/23/2017 at 10:53 AM, wihumphrey said:

I know Housekeeping has always had trouble with guests who left their "Do Not Disturb" signs out after they left. But honestly, I believe Las Vegas changed everything for hotels.

If resort cams are banned. I believe this is why 

Last Paragraph http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5215373/Disney-resorts-add-new-security-measures.html

I could see Disney claiming they were going to disallow streaming based on the Vegas incident,  but if that was their primary reason I would argue that its a knee-jerk reaction that will not in any way make the place safer.

Seriously if some kook really wants to do something,  not allowing streaming of public spaces isn't going to make the place safer or prevent the kook from doing what they have their minds set on doing.   If there had been an EOV (eyesonvegas) streaming public spaces,  there might have been 2 dozen calls asking why someone was taking 50 suitcases into a room; but I digress and really don't want to get into discussing that incident here;  there are way too many things that simply do not add up.  

I think we should just wait and see if they actually are going to publish a photography/videography policy that disallows streaming of public spaces; then we can talk about it; until then we are playing guessing game.

On 12/27/2017 at 2:17 PM, Waternoose said:

I could see Disney claiming they were going to disallow streaming based on the Vegas incident,  but if that was their primary reason I would argue that its a knee-jerk reaction that will not in any way make the place safer.

Seriously if some kook really wants to do something,  not allowing streaming of public spaces isn't going to make the place safer or prevent the kook from doing what they have their minds set on doing.   If there had been an EOV (eyesonvegas) streaming public spaces,  there might have been 2 dozen calls asking why someone was taking 50 suitcases into a room; but I digress and really don't want to get into discussing that incident here;  there are way too many things that simply do not add up.  

I think we should just wait and see if they actually are going to publish a photography/videography policy that disallows streaming of public spaces; then we can talk about it; until then we are playing guessing game.

I absolutely agree with everything Noose says in this post...except one thing. The last line. IF Disney does decide to issue a streaming public spaces ban, we will have nothing to talk about. If we know one thing about Disney, when a decision is made.....it's done. Discussion over. I suppose EOE could still talk about it till we're blue in the face but I honestly think we should maybe be a bit more proactive?

40 minutes ago, Fizbain said:

Usually not any wiggle room once Disney makes policy. Do we hide the cams? Or do we let them find them? 

Our main concern for now is housekeeping/maintenance accessing our room every day. The stress of wondering whether or not they will find our cam and report it is just not worth it to us. Again, we will only stream when we are in the room. We're waiting to see if any policy shakes out but the daily room access is our main concern.