EyesOnEars - Disney Forums + Live Disney Webcams

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
newharmony

Florida rain...

One of many rain stories for us!

August 2008, our first stay as DVC owners and a birthday gift of a Wishes Cruise from my children. :wub: Bliss

Tropical storm hits.  :huh: wihumphrey goes down to the lobby to see if the Wishes Cruise would be cancelled. Person at the concierge desk say they are not.

We head out to take the bus to the Magic Kingdom, take the monorail to the Poly to get the cruise, walk through the slashing storm all the way to the boat dock.

:oA boat captain is on the dock and tells us the cruises are cancelled and we should have been told that at the hotel. :angry: No bliss

9 hours ago, School Belle said:

One of many rain stories for us!

August 2008, our first stay as DVC owners and a birthday gift of a Wishes Cruise from my children. :wub: Bliss

Tropical storm hits.  :huh: wihumphrey goes down to the lobby to see if the Wishes Cruise would be cancelled. Person at the concierge desk say they are not.

We head out to take the bus to the Magic Kingdom, take the monorail to the Poly to get the cruise, walk through the slashing storm all the way to the boat dock.

:oA boat captain is on the dock and tells us the cruises are cancelled and we should have been told that at the hotel. :angry: No bliss

Just an addendum to this story. Lobby cm also told me that if we did not show up at the dock we would be billed for the cruise whether or not it was cancelled. Next day a different lobby cm told me I was given incorrect info from an inexperienced cm.

Two rain stories stand out for me....

One was a few years back when Fiz/Miz/Jim and I got stuck at Yacht Club during a deluge. So we sat on the couches, put our feet up and watched the rain and guests running thru it for well over an hour! 

The second was one everyone remembers, I'm sure.....meeting the EOE gang for dinner at Biergarten the sky opened up just as we arrived in Germany and we got stuck in the covered area just outside the restrooms....everyone was soaked!  Osh/Mrs Osh were stuck at the Boardwalk hotel with huge puddles on the balconys....A rainstorm to remember!!

Memorable stories, indeed! Belle and wi, were you able to go on your Wishes Cruise later?  Yes, flounder, I do remember the rain storm before Biergarten! I was carrying gifts into the park that evening!  

We have several, too. One that comes to mind is arriving back at Boardwalk one afternoon, with rain threatening. We debated waiting in the car, or going on the long walk to the lobby from guest parking. We decided to go...about halfway there, the wind and torrential rain started. We stood under a big tree at the corner of the lot while it POURED! We were drenched. When it finally let up, we walked through the lobby, dripping! That was the afternoon that we discovered our cam was ruined by the storm. We had to make another trip out to get another cam! 

21 minutes ago, newharmony said:

Memorable stories, indeed! Belle and wi, were you able to go on your Wishes Cruise later?  Yes, flounder, I do remember the rain storm before Biergarten! I was carrying gifts into the park that evening!  

We have several, too. One that comes to mind is arriving back at Boardwalk one afternoon, with rain threatening. We debated waiting in the car, or going on the long walk to the lobby from guest parking. We decided to go...about halfway there, the wind and torrential rain started. We stood under a big tree at the corner of the lot while it POURED! We were drenched. When it finally let up, we walked through the lobby, dripping! That was the afternoon that we discovered our cam was ruined by the storm. We had to make another trip out to get another cam! 

Oh no! There have been quite a few victims of Disney rain storms (cams) in our crowd!

5 hours ago, flounder1959 said:

One was a few years back when Fiz/Miz/Jim and I got stuck at Yacht Club during a deluge. So we sat on the couches, put our feet up and watched the rain and guests running thru it for well over an hour! 

The second was one everyone remembers, I'm sure.....meeting the EOE gang for dinner at Biergarten the sky opened up just as we arrived in Germany and we got stuck in the covered area just outside the restrooms....everyone was soaked!  Osh/Mrs Osh were stuck at the Boardwalk hotel with huge puddles on the balconys....A rainstorm to remember!!

I think that was the one that lost us JonDVC and Simba1

I have told these stories before on chat, but a couple of storms that stand out was when we were on the tram in the AK parking lot and it started to pour like crazy.   Well we were getting pretty wet as it was on the tram since it's wide open, then we get to our section and decide to run as fast as we can.  Of course our car is alllllll the way down at the end of the aisle.  We did have umbrellas but they did absolutely nothing for us as the wind was whipping the rain all around us like crazy.  We were soaked.  We just stopped running and just walked and laughed the rest of the way to the car in the pouring rain as we couldn't get any wetter.  

Another time we were on Splash Mountain towards the end of the ride, where that waterfall is and the people on the right always gets wet.  Well we got stuck there and the skies opened up.  Omg, we were just sitting ducks, literally.  The whole boat was hysterical laughing.  When we got off the ride the people waiting to ride next were looking at us like did these people just swim the ride instead of being in the boat lol.

We were also at Universal when Hurricane Charlie came through.  I remember we had to leave the park at 2 p.m.  We were with my older sister's family and we were talking like it's going to be no big deal, we even made plans to meet for dinner, parted ways and the skies decided to part right over us.  Again, completely drenched by the time we got to the hotel.  

10 hours ago, flounder1959 said:

Don't think I'll ever forget those two storms.  lol

5 hours ago, Fizbain said:

I think that was the one that lost us JonDVC and Simba1

Yes, Fiz...I believe you're right!

the year we took my niece Jess with us it was end of June so it basically rained a bit every afternoon but every time we went to a park it would pour, then stop when we were on the bus.  We would take our ponchos off and as soon as the bus stopped at the park, the skies opened up again! 

other than that we seemed to luck out, it if poured we just shopped or were lucky enough to be on a ride/attraction.  now if you want to hear some camping in the rain/thunderstorm/tornado warnings I have a LOT of those!

One of our favorites was our first trip with local friends. Their son was wandering around in a blue poncho that made us think he looked like a little blue Yoda. Then after some time in the rain we was cold, so he asked me to pick him up and hold him so he could warm up against me. Being the fat guy in the group means I tend to be the portable space heater as well @MizFiz could fill you in on more details:ph34r:

A different rain story from Belle's. We were booked for one of the earliest Star Wars Fireworks dessert parties. The early parties were held outdoors in a roped-off area in the main plaza. We arrived early at HS and checked the area where the party would be, then set off to do some attractions before the event. I think we were coming through the Star Wars store after disembarking from the ride, when the sky opened up. I mean it was pouring intensely. Fortunately we were under cover in the store,at least so I thought, when Belle put on her poncho. So I started putting mine on, thinking that she just wanted to be ready when the rain lightened up. Before I could get my poncho on all the way, Belle took off towards the dessert party area. After expressing a couple of non-Disney remarks, I set off after her and still struggling with the poncho, was immediately soaked through. Totally drenched we arrived at the outdoor location where 2 brave CM's were stationed to let us know that the party had been moved to an indoor location near where the dessert party is now held . Essentially, we walked from one side of the park to the other,in a driving rain, with now useless ponchos. She didn't want to be late:wacko:

Edited by wihumphrey