EyesOnEars - Disney Forums + Live Disney Webcams

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Fizbain

Driver-less shuttles at WDW?

LA Times is reporting that Walt Disney World is planning to start deploying driver-less shuttles/buses.

Personally I have been talking up something like this in my mind and to friends for some time. I seem to remember a tech segment on Dubai that they built something like what I imagine. How great would it be to go to a bus stop. Touch your magicband to a kiosk. Enter the destination and size of your party and the number of scooters, strollers etc. Then a shuttle shows up. Scooters roll right on and off you go. In my opinion transportation service continually gets worse and this not only may improve service but my Disney transportation cool again. Like the monorail once was

I heard about this too  Right now I think it's going to be tested for Cast Members to bring them back and forth to their parking lot.  It sounds like a cool idea but I do feel bad for the bus drivers who are going to lose their jobs.  It would be nice if they could update transportation with technology but keep the human element there.

Driver-less shuttles, gondolas....taking the human element out of the experience all together.

Sounds interesting. I agree with you Flounder. It will not be the same. I'm not for the gondolas. I would rather see that money invested in attractions that have been around a while. 

I am all for keeping the people in the system. At the same time the one thing that frustrates me the most,  after price gouging of course, is how poor the transportation system is getting. A system of thousands of these wandering around should make it easier and faster to get from place to place. 

At one point I decided the plan was to make transportation that bad that people stop park hopping. Think about it. If you can lock people into one park for the day, you know exactly what the crowds will be like in every park and know exactly how many people you need. 

One of the advantages to POP Century for me has been the dedicated busses.  I never seem to wait very long...as a matter of fact I only remember one time I thought it was excessive...leaving the resort for a park and we go directly to the park.   I have waited quite a while at park closing which is crazy because the busses should be stacked up knowing its park closing, but we go directly to the resort when others have either multiple resort stops, or multiple stops within a resort.  To me park hopping is part of the fun of it, I'm not sure I'd like doing only one park each day any more.

I agree flounder, I would never be able to do 1 park a day anymore.  Well unless I was staying for a month or so.  Then pick a park a day after you've had your fill do the monorail crawl or sit by the pool!  AAHHHH Someday.  I agree about Pop busses they are great except at park closing.  UUGGGHH!! they need more busses and OMG if you go to DTD, then you might as well take Uber or a Cab  It takes longer to get to your bus stop than it does to actually get back to the resort!  I really do hope they do not take the human element out of transportation.  We've had some really good bus drivers over the years and I would hate to see their jobs eliminated!