Sign in to follow this  
newharmony

Disneyland Resorts

We're talking about a trip to Disneyland and would like any input on the resort hotels. We are clueless! We'd like info on rates, views, weather*, and walking distance to the parks. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

NH

*What time of year would you suggest

Edited by newharmony

NH,

I can give you a bit of info about things like view and distance to the park, but not rates. I attached a picture to help with the descriptions.

All the Disney resorts at Disneyland are within walking distance of the parks. There are two parks, Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, and unlike WDW, at DL DTD is at the park. The three are laid out in a T with the parks as the top bar and DTD the upright. DL would be the right of the crossbar and DCA the left with a nice open area in between where pedestrian traffic moves constantly.

The Disneyland Hotel is the furthest from the parks and would be at the bottom of the upright. The walk is about half a mile from the hotel to the parks which is about like walking from the parking lot to the countries in Epcot, but farm more interesting because you are walking through DTD and they usually have entertainers there. The view from one of the buildings looks toward DL and DCA but doesn't have a great view. It is a great hotel with all the amenities you would expect from a Disney resort, such as themed dining, but in truth it is still a hotel. The theme is pretty much just a standard Disney look without anything specific, unlike the other resorts, but this is the original hotel so it never had a real theme other than "I am the hotel for Disneyland". Keep in mind that this is the hotel with the convention center attached so there is a lot of traffic for that area in this hotel.

Disney's Paradise Pier is across the street from the south end of DCA and attaches to directly DCA in the Paradise Pier section of DCA. It is themed along the lines of a resort at Coney Island as Paradise Pier itself is setup like this. Not a huge resort by Disney standards but it is the newest there. The view from this resort would be of the lagoon and,even better, the World of Color show 2x nightly. From the room you would be looking across the lagoon and towards what was Tower of Terror. Probably a bigger variety of park view than any of the other parks.

Disney's Grand Californian Resort is the biggest of the three and themed to be a lodge in the Big Sur area of California (think Wilderness Lodge with California added in to the mix) and is located on DTD. DGCR attaches to DCA right where Soarin' and Grizzly Peak (DCA version of Kali River Rapids). I think most people stay here since it gives you immediate access to DCA and since you have early entrance you get to access Soarin' and other popular rides quickly. The view from here is going to be DTD, Grizzly Peak, and some of Paradise Pier. The section that faces Paradise Pier would have a perfect view of World of Colr since it faces it straight on instead of from the side like Paradise Pier Resort. This resort does have a convention center as well but it is not as big as the DLH facility.

Image for the park: http://www.igraphicsmedia.com/images/DL_Resorts.png (I tried to add it to the post and it didn't work right)

Weather is usually very mild. Summer sometimes gets into the high 80's-low 90's and the locals are afraid they are going to melt, but an experienced WDW guest will be fine, just drink lots of water and wear sunscreen.. Normally the temps are in the mid 70's or a little higher but can dip as they get into the winter, much like WDW. Although it is close to the ocean, it doesn't get a lot of rain unless a big storm rolls through, and they do, so the humidity isn't that high and you are more comfortable even in the higher temps. Best times are during the spring and fall since those are the more moderate temps for that area, but keep in mind that the weather there is much more moderate than WDW. Today is Sunday, Nov 27th and the weather today is a high of 52 with a low of 45, so you can see that it isn't too bad out there when the rest of us are looking at 45 as a high.

Crowds are a bit different in DL because it gets a LOT of consistent local traffic unlike WDW. Don't get me wrong, DL gets its fair share of foreign guests, most are asian, but it gets a much higher volume of day traffic from the local population since it sits in the middle of the LA metro area. According to IsItPacked.com (http://www.isitpacke...ictor-calendar/) DL is best visited M-Th which makes sense since the locals will be in there on the weekends primarily. I have also used TouringPlans.com (https://touringplans.../crowd-calendar) to plan around events and the such, and they have a mobile app to help with that as well. TouringPlans does require a subscription, but I found it to be worth it for there and WDW as the mobile app allows you to time the lines and submit them to the app which give you realtime info on wait times that are usually more accurate than the posted times. It also does a good job of the crowd calendar predictions since they have a lot of collected data from their users on which to base the predictions.

Sorry for the long winded post, I hope this helped you out with your planning. Have a great trip and we look forward to your streams because you always have great content.

- Mali

Edited by ZWarrior

Thank you so much! I loved reading your post...so informative and interesting. You are a wealth of knowledge! We are thinking of a trip to Las Vegas, then driving to Anaheim for a few days. Your advice for the days to visit is very helpful! So is the weather advice. We want to go when it's warm, but not too warm! I'm going to read your post to OH when he comes in for lunch. We're getting excited about the prospect of visiting DL for the first time. We may be asking more questions... :)

Thank you!

Thank you for your kind words.I been there several times over the past few years and always had a great time.

One thing to be aware of is that the attraction locations for DL are very different from MK and that can throw you off. For instance, Splash Mountain is where Big Thunder is at MK, Haunted Mansion is located where Splash Mountain should be and Big Thunder is kinda where Haunted Mansion should be located. But this isn't necessarily bad. It makes the park unique from what we are used to and creates a special feel.

In all honesty, you can do both parks in 4-5 days and hit everything without rushing around. There is so much history there since this was the first park and

Thanks to you two for all the great streams especially since we can make the trips this year either.

Have a great trip!

Belle and I have stayed at Paradise Pier and Grand Californian fairly recently. We'd be happy to field questions about those 2 locations. I agree with Z about the walking issue . Everything is within walking distance.....one of the things I like most about the layout. We know a bit about some of the sit-down restaurants too. If you're looking for a tiki experience, I'm sure Osh will be chiming in soon:)

Although I have only been once and stayed off site, I will offer my thoughts. I spent two days in the parks and feel like i want 2 more. Now that I know the "lay of the land" a little better I'd like to have a couple days to explore more. I love that you can walk back and forth between the two and into DTD. We went in the beginning of May and the weather was lovely. Warm in the day and a light jacket at night. Like with WDW, study the maps and get to know the parks a little. Makes it easier the first day. We did walk thru the Grand Californian, accessed from DCA near Grizzley, and it is beautiful!! We did a dinner package for World of Color, ate at the Italian Restaurant in DCA, Wine Country Trattoria. Dinner was delicious and you get reserved viewing for WOC. I think Wi and Belle have eaten there as well. Can't wait to follow along as you plan and visit for the first time. Its so different from WDW, but I think you'll love it! One important thing, no free wifi at DL :(

Thank you, wihumphrey and flounder! Wihumphrey, we'd love restaurant recommendations. Thanks for the info on the Italian restaurant, flounder. We are now thinking that we'll just do a CA trip, no Las Vegas. We were only going to Vegas to see Elton John and he may be in Orlando eventually! We'll probably go to LAX, spend several days exploring the coast. OH wants to stay on the Queen Mary, so we'll do a few days there, go to San Diego, then end our trip at Disneyland. (Best for last!) We checked and we can use our DVC points for Grand Californian...may not be great views, but nice location. I love that everything is so walkable! I did know about the wifi but luckily I just changed my data plan to 8g, plus any rollover. We're thinking the end of Sept into early Oct. Love hearing any tips or ideas you have. Thanks for all the input! :)

Regarding Wine Country Trattoria... Heck Yeah! Great food with a great staff who are wonderful at recommending a good wine with your chosen dish, or vice-versa. Also a great place to sit with a glass of wine and people watch since it sits on one of the main walkways. Need a respite and a bit of Disney info? Check out the Blue Sky Cellar (assuming it is still that). They had a lot of info on upcoming movies and trivia on existing ones as well.

Note that it is about a 4+ hour drive to San Diego from DL so be ready for a long drive.

Fiz,I would recommend a trip. If nothing else to see where it all started with a mouse. ;)

Agreed on Wine Country Trattoria. Wonderful place. Generally, I think the sit down restaurants at DCA are superior to those at DL. Blue Bayou at DL kinda reminds me of the restaurant in the Mexican pavilion at Epcot. Lovely if you're sitting by the water but just dark with mediocre food otherwise. Carthay Circle at DCA is another that is very good. OTOH I think,generally, that the counter service restaurants at DL are superior to those at DCA.

We have decided to go to CA in August. We can try to get reservations for the GC beginning in January...fingers crossed. Once we have them, we'll post on the streaming calendar. Going to do some CA sightseeing at the beginning of the trip, and end at Disneyland for 4-6 days. Thanks for all the info! It's been very helpful. :)

We have decided to go to CA in August. We can try to get reservations for the GC beginning in January...fingers crossed. Once we have them, we'll post on the streaming calendar. Going to do some CA sightseeing at the beginning of the trip, and end at Disneyland for 4-6 days. Thanks for all the info! It's been very helpful. :)

Thats great, nh!! It'll be a wonderful trip, so much to see and do in California. I agree, you need AT LEAST 4 days at DL. I did two and feel like i need two more full days now that I know my way around a bit. Can't wait for your adventure!

Congratulations, I have no doubt you will have an absolute blast!