EyesOnEars - Disney Forums + Live Disney Webcams

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oshpopham

Cell Phone Stabilizers on Indiegogo

19 posts in this topic

Found some interesting cell phone stabilizers on Indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/best-3-axis-stabilizer-for-iphone-android-phone-video#/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/snoppa-m1-innovative-3-axis-smartphone-gimbal-video#/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smove-smartphone-stabilizer-powerbank-in-one--3#/

The Smove one seems interesting since it has a power bank built in.

However the Snoppa one appears to be less than $100

School Belle and Fizbain like this

One good thing about these devices that is an improvement over mine is that they can be charged using a standard micro USB cable so they can be charged with a portable battery.

I've brought my existing cell phone stabilizer into the parks many times and as long as you tell them what it is and that it doesn't extend, they are ok with it.

NEmickeyfan and kbmum like this

I'm checking now to verify they are compatible with uStream and other streaming programs and options.

The media person for our charity events uses one so I have seen one in action, but I have never used one myself. These devices aren't doing anything other than keeping the phone stable as you move around so I wouldn't think they would be taken into account for stability. Or am I thinking this out wrong?

Fizbain likes this

I have taken my stabilizer to WDW a number of times. After a brief explanation to security, if asked, (it's phone stabilizer, it does not extend, etc), I have had not problems taking mine into the parks. As long as it does not functions like a selfie-stick, they seem fine with it.

Z, I am not sure what you are asking. I think you are saying that the main function of the device is phone stability...as opposed to a device that might extend... which is true.

Osh, I am not understanding what compatibility would be needed with Ustream, etc. Why would these work differently than what you are using now as far as stabilizing the phone? The idea of a built in battery pack is interesting to me .. and the usb charging would be great! However, these things ain't cheap so I will be sticking with mine for a while.

I have taken my gorilla pod and my mono pod/tripod combo into the parks, in pieces. Security looked at one of the pieces, I explained what it was and they were fine.

Sorry, sometimes my brain talks faster then I type and things don't come out as clear as I would like. Mostly I was addressing Osh's comment about compatibility with UStream and other streaming apps. To my understanding there shouldn't be any compatibility issues as the device only moves the phone and doesn't actually interact with the apps.

Am I correct in that assumption?

Fizbain and oshpopham like this

Sorry, sometimes my brain talks faster then I type and things don't come out as clear as I would like. Mostly I was addressing Osh's comment about compatibility with UStream and other streaming apps. To my understanding there shouldn't be any compatibility issues as the device only moves the phone and doesn't actually interact with the apps.

Am I correct in that assumption?

I agree....the device is stabilizing the phone. I can't see any way it would affect or be incompatible with Ustream or any other application.

SO which one am I getting?

SO which one am I getting?

The most expensive one, of course! Since you tote around your Hoover Dam power brick ;) , I would think one that can be USB charged would be great.... and save some cash

Fizbain likes this

The SMOVE looks like the most interesting one to me. The power bank and being able to charge the stabilizer that way would sure be handy.

There are 3 modes on this stabilizer available....Working mode (fixed angle), Panorama and Face follow. My guess is (since Ustream doesn't work with camera settings such as zoom) the modes would not work with Ustream. Perhaps what Osh was alluding to. If you were just recording video, then most likely you could use those modes.

If I needed a stabilizer, I think I would try to get in on the SMOVE for quite a cost savings til it is available commercially.

oshpopham likes this

I need someone to look at the SMOVE to see if they can confirm something.

While it can stabilize on 3 axes it only seems to be able to do two at one time not three.

Three as in left/right, up/down and clockwise/counterclockwise. You always have clockwise/counterclockwise, but you have to hold it two different ways to get left/right OR up/down, you can't have both at the same time.

If this is the case then there is too much thinking involved. You should be able to just point it an walk around without diverting much of your attention to how your holding it like with my existing stabilizer.

Watch the Snoppa video to see what I mean.

You can move left, right, up, down and not have to change the way you grip it. The camera mount resists being moved clockwise/counterclockwise. i noticed that near the beginning of the video where people 'twisted' the handle but the camera does move side to side with the rotation.

It seems to me that my be optional modes you can use with the app. So I am guessing you get 4 modes

1) no app, would work like unit you have

2) With app - pan up/down

3) With app - pan left/right

4) With app - lock

Time lapse and 360 is kinda cool extras.

If you "must" use the app, it does make the question "... Does it work with Ustream? ..." a valid one

oshpopham likes this

The SMOVE is only a 2-Axis stabilizer, but they say "...it uses two axis and exceeds stability of some of the three axis in the market and in development". Remains to be seen ;)

Fizbain likes this