Sign in to follow this  
wherespluto

Try This- Not That - Dining Opinions :)

As much as Disney dining is ever evolving, there are still some places we just have never tried or places we could not stand to go to again. Counter service, snack, or sit-down- anything is up for discussion. Looking forward to your answers, here's mine:

1. What's the one place you've eaten at that you'd never go back to and why?

2. What's the one place you've never eaten at that you are dying to try?

3. Where in the last 2-3 years have you had the best meal at?

1. Plaza Restaurant. We really, really use to love this place. But the last time we ate here (for ds 5th birthday) it was mediocre at best. The food as just so-so, and I really hate it when they ask you what you are celebrating, i.e. ds's b-day but then nothing happens. I know that I should never expect it, but that is part of the Disney magic right?

2. Never eaten at 'Ohana for dinner. I really am dying to try this, but after a recent experience for breakfast (about 2 weeks ago) I'm hoping that it won't disappoint.

3. Two places come to mind, and the winner of the two is La Hacienda. I really think this restaurant is under-rated, I'm not sure people know how good the Mexican food is here. We typically get the Parrillada Del Mar (for two) which is a mixture of shrimp, fish (Mahi-Mahi) scallops, and veggies. We have never come away hungry from here, and definitely recommend the Mango Blueberry Basil Margarita. We've taken family and friends here, and they agree top-notch food here.

Edited by wherespluto

Well....

1. I can't say there has been anyplace that has been so horrible i wouldn't go back. I did not enjoy the menu at San Angel Inn in Mexico as much as La Hacienda. Although the atmosphere was wonderful. It was not bad, just prefer La Hacienda.

2. O'hana is one place I have not eaten and would like to.....next Sept :)

3. Well, between Via Napoli and Le Cellier...I've had three great meals at Via Napoli (everything from Arancini and Candele Pasta to their Pizza is delicious) and I LOVE their Sangria and well....the cheddar soup and Filet Mignon at Le Cellier are primo!! I have to say that I have had two great meals at La Hacienda as well, and the fireworks view was fabulous!

Since you asked,

1. Crystal Palace. The last time I ate there, which was several years ago, the food was so-so. I felt it wasn't worth the $$.

2. Yachtsman Steak. I love a good steak and would love to compare it to Le Cellier.

3. Le Cellier. I haven't had a bad meal there yet.

1 - I am giving two for this one they both tie for dead last ... Planet Hollywood & Rainforest Cafe - cheap food, served slow and cold, with expensive price tag.

2 - Le Cellier - had a reservation there our last trip, but one of the kids got sick prior to dinner time so had to cancel.

3 - Villa de Flora - inside Gaylord Palms Orlando - hands down the best buffet we have ever had and IMO worth a trip over there just to eat it, might have to do that this upcoming trip!

1. Coral Reef... Long time ago it used to be THE place to eat. Since the meal program then the free meal program the selection and quality has plummeted

2. Captains Table - I am always up for a dining adventure

3. Toss up between Citricos and Yachtsman (if not including signature then I would say the Wave)

1) I know people here are talking about this place but Ohana just doesn't do it for me. I found the food plentiful but overcooked or tasteless, it's very, very loud, people moving all over the place and the entertainment hokey. ( But I'd go back if the company was good:) )

2) Haven't tried Via Napoli or Blue Zoo but wanna.

3) Between Flying Fish and Artist Point. I agree with Fiz about the Wave....best one credit on the dining plan.

Edited by wihumphrey

Well now, you have all brought up some new places I didn't even think about....

Yachtsman, I'd love to eat there. Many friends rave about it. (adding Citricos ,Artists Point and Flying Fish to my list...)

Captains Table, where is this?? I love an adventure!

What is Blue Zoo and where??

Rainforest/Planet Hollywood....nah, I agree with Noose.

Yachtsman, I'd love to eat there. Many friends rave about it. (adding Citricos ,Artists Point and Flying Fish to my list...)

Blue Zoo is the Todd English restaurant at the Dolphin.......signature prices.

Sorry, I was thinking it was at yachtsmans and it is at Victoria and Alberts so it is the Chef's table

I will agree about 'Ohana breakfast. We were there about 2 weeks ago for a friend's sons' birthday. Breakfast was so-so. Nothing like getting big pan of food thrown on your table. The potatoes (homefries) were so salty they were inedible. Character experience is good, but food not worth it.

The Wagyu steak at the Yachtsman was AWESOME - think they might have stopped serving it though.

I think all the character breakfast meals are pretty bland, but for us its more about the character interactions. We do enjoy the POG at ohana though....

1. I agree with Noose about Planet Hollywood/Rainforest Cafe. Both places have nothing special in the way of food, plus they are chains where I can eat at any time here. When I go to WDW I like to go restaurants you can only find there.

2. I have never eaten at Victoria and Albert's and would love to.

3. Le Cellier is our favorite restaurant down there, have never been disappointed. Well, except with their pricing ;)

1. I would way the San Angel as the food there has always been pretty bland and reminds me of a TV dinner. But then I would also not want to go to Cosmic Rays. I have been there several times as well and only because we were starved in needed food NOW. the food selection there is limited to burgers for the most part and just doesn't trip my trigger.

2. I would love to eat at the Chef's Table in Victoria and Albert's or one of the places in Japan (haven't gotten my wife to be that adventurous).

3. We both love LeCellier and Chefs De France. Who can pass up the steaks and pretzel bread or a visit from Remy while drinking a delicious wine that has been perfectly paired with your entree?

1. Don't want to go back to the Sci Fi Drive In - love the ambieance - food is meh
  2. Want to go to the Chef's Table in Victoria and Albert's at GF and Todd English's blue zoo at the Dolphin
  3. My favorite places so far are Artist Point, Flying Fish and Chefs de Paris (now Monsieur Paul)

​Thanks for starting this thread wherespluto!

It was fun to think about the many great meals I've had at wdw.

1. Rainforest Cafe - Food quality is poor for the price you pay.

2. Chefs Table at Victoria & Albert's - Don't think Karen is that adventurous yet.

3. Favorites would have to be Chefs De France and Fulton's Crab House. (I know some people may disagree with the later but we have never had a bad meal there and it has become our arrival night tradition.)

1. Rainforest Cafe - Food quality is poor for the price you pay.

2. Chefs Table at Victoria & Albert's - Don't think Karen is that adventurous yet.

3. Favorites would have to be Chefs De France and Fulton's Crab House. (I know some people may disagree with the later but we have never had a bad meal there and it has become our arrival night tradition.)

Seems like #2 is pretty consistent for everyone. As far as a tradition for dining, DW and I always to BierGarden sometime during our visit. Even when visiting on a conference trip I have still made it a point to eat there.

WP, I understand completely.

I have found that sometimes the food at BG is not up to par. I think it is because either the cooks aren't at their best or the food is a little old. One thing we have noticed is the person working the meat station can be a bit of a pill, too. They usually look at you like you are an inconvenience to their day when you politely ask for a slice of meat. Even more so if they only cut off a small piece and you ask them, politely I might add, for a bit more. Overall, we love the ambiance, the beer and the desserts.

Yeah, can't say I was ever a BIG fan of Beirgarten. But, it is easy to get into and especially with a large party it's fun

Actually that is part of what we like about it. Since there is just the two of us we always get seated with another group. Hilariously that other group is almost always from our area of the country, sometimes even our same city.

I guess i have to agree with TP and Noose..

1. Rainforest Cafe...used to be much better but the kids like the place so we went. The last time i was at a Rainforest here in CT i couldn't help but look around and think...How much mold and dust is up there above us! :rolleyes:

2. Would be Ohana for sure, dont' know why we never tried that but next trip it is a must do.

3. Le Celliur hands down. Only been there a handful of times but never had a disappointing meal.