Sign in to follow this  
Fizbain

Fort Wilderness DVC ?

We may have discussed this back a long time ago. Seems the idea of a vacation club was rather real in WDW minds. DVCnews.com is reporting more leaded details on what is/was the Fort Wilderness Vacation club. I know MIz and I are big fans of Fort Wilderness so we have mixed feelings about adding a DVC resort there. Especially at the size they say here. It would probably ruin the Trails end restaurant as well. We always like it there because it is inexpensive and seems no one is ever there.

As always, you milage may vary and feel free to make up your own mind

http://dvcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2480:ft-wilderness-dvc-plans-leaked&catid=36:other-resorts&Itemid=390

What do you think?

We chatted with a CM 2 1/2 years ago about this and at the time I thought it sounded like a good idea to bring back some life to the old River Country area, but these plans seem to go way bigger than I thought they would.

The building itself rises up to eight stories

That's not going to easy to hide in the wilderness, and it would be a great shame if they did spoil the tranquillity of the place.

I hope that it is separated from the campgrounds like the current villas are, but as far as ruining Trails End - look at it as an opportunity to introduce another great place to eat.

That does look like another big resort ... are they subscribing to the "build it and they will come" philosophy or are current attendance levels dictating it? Based on the economy the last 5-6 years and rumors that we could be headed back down any time, I find it tough to believe that they are going to fill another big DVC resort.

Wow, that's huge. I've never visited the campgrounds (other than to go to Hoop-Dee-Doo back in 1978), but my best friend rented two cabins there a couple of years ago. She said the bus situation was awful. If Disney does green-light the project, I'd imagine they'd have to make big improvements to the transportation.

Edited by kbmum

Hmm..mixed feelings here..we love the camp ground but with basic tent site rates upwards of $90 a night in August..it is a bit ridiculous. Also, those campsites are not always sold out like Disney marketing would have you believe. I think DVC membership is keeping dvc resort rooms full..however, cast members noted to us at AKV during Christmas week both Animal Kingdom Lodges were only at 70% capacity under cash reservations. they indicated if I traded our points into IRC we could probably score a club level room when I can not even secure it at 11 months out as an owner. I think a monstrous resort at Fort Wilderness will take away some of the charm of Fort Wilderness.

We pay almost $100 a night at the campgrounds down the beach so that price in not an issue at all. We were talking about sneaking down this year me and Tara for a Tent week with no parks , maybe even just drive down instead of flying as we really need to save some money these next few years. I would much rather stay in a studio at a cheaper price and get all the perks of the campground lol

they indicated if I traded our points into IRC we could probably score a club level room when I can not even secure it at 11 months out as an owner. I think a monstrous resort at Fort Wilderness will take away some of the charm of Fort Wilderness.

Hmmmmm interesting..... How would that work?