Sign in to follow this  
mom2mykids

All Star Sports NEW refillable mug system

We use the plastic clip top Disney mugs that represent fantastic value over 14 days. We have collected over a dozen and my wife is reluctant to throw them away after the holiday. They sit here in the UK gathering dust.

Edited by klick4nick

I know on other boards the reusable cups are a topic of some discussion that is not always nice!

I have taken mine back and used them. But we really don't drink that much soda we usually use for water.

Never have we had anyone - cast member or guest say anything to us. So, thats my take on it.:)

personally...I think this is ridiculous and is going to create more work for them than the money they will save. We buy the cups...I don't drink soda..usually water...the kid will fill her mug and drink a third of it and it will sit and DH usually gets coffee. Is this really necessary?

I think this is more about testing for what they will eventually bring into the parks . With them cutting back real bad on EMH they have to come up with something to draw to On-site stays. what to be better then a Low cost to them , low cost to us Perk.

We use to get them for Length of stay but as I like Pepsi better we mostly just get that at the store.

On a positive note we took Water bottles into the parks with us and TAra several times went and got Free Large Cups of Icewater in the Parks with no issues . We just used them to keep our Bottles filled

INP, are you saying that Disney might offer a refillable mug for park use?

We buy the mugs during our stay, but to be honest, I worry about the cleanliness of the drink stations and the mugs people use. Since we're DVC members, we have a sink and dish soap to clean the mugs after each use, but I'll bet a lot of people only rinse them out once in a while and never really wash them at all during a trip. icon_blah.gif

Yea i think they might be. The amount of Waste saved from cups alone would make it worth looking into. I noticed US/IOA had one we were only there for 1 day and had water bottles so never looked into it but I think 6.99 and .79 for refill if I remember correctly.

What was weird is they would let DD take a water bottle on one of the rides but allowed several take those Refillable cups on. It was almost empty so I took the cap off ( it was a Sip cap we like them lol ) and tossed the bottle.

If Disney finds out this works with little or no issues then they could have it in the parks with no problem . When you take in all the other stuff around a Cup of soda the profits are good but eaten up by waist removal and such . Buying the refill is real big profit up front .

Yes Universal does have the mugs for in the parks, even hershey park has them too. It would be nice to get cheap or even free refills in the parks. Didn't even think of that was just thinking at the hotels! But if it's tied to length to stay wonder what they will do for all the locals who don't stay on property.

There goes the ebay mug racket .... HAH!

How do they advertise free unlimited refills, but then limit you to 4 per hour? Is the 4 refill limit only for paper cups and not the mugs? I don't think I have ever drank 4 refills worth in an hour ... usually no more than 2 at most.

I seen someone ask about "free forever mugs" - they dont have chips in them .... sure seems like another way for Disney to stick it to guest via the way of hastle instead of actually saving money.

Well, as far as 4 per hour. DW and I would normally share a drink and sometimes get a refill. Not sure even with 2 of us on a paper cup we ever filled it more than a total of 3 times.

We never liked the mugs as we never at the resort often enough for it to matter.

This entire thing gets REALLY interesting if you are one of the people that believes that the deal between WDW and Coke is that WDW gets all the product FOR FREE in exchange for the exclusive beverage of WDW. So if they get the product for FREE how much more proffit can you maximize? icon_rofl.gif

I was thinking more along the Lines of a On-site Perk so Locals would get no benefit from it. The Technology is here to even link it to your KTTK card as well. The 4 per Hour could be as the Mugs don't hold much if a good bit of Ice is added as well I know at Home I have to refill mine during a normal Meal and I only use 2 of the refreezable Mickey head cubes. So I could see me possible doing 4 fills in an hour period but not any more for sure.

Fiz I am one that believes they pay next to nothing is anything for Coke to be in there . I think all the Cost (Profits) are more dealing with Man Hours that go along with the SOda more then the Soda it's self. Even if they think the Average person drinks 3 sodas a day in the parks that would 84 cup of Waist saved from the recycler or trash on the average FAmily stay. I'm thinking more along those lines then Money Lines.

i was thinking more along the lines of a on-site perk so locals would get no benefit from it. The technology is here to even link it to your kttk card as well. The 4 per hour could be as the mugs don't hold much if a good bit of ice is added as well i know at home i have to refill mine during a normal meal and i only use 2 of the refreezable mickey head cubes. So i could see me possible doing 4 fills in an hour period but not any more for sure.

Fiz i am one that believes they pay next to nothing is anything for coke to be in there . I think all the cost (profits) are more dealing with man hours that go along with the soda more then the soda it's self. Even if they think the average person drinks 3 sodas a day in the parks that would 84 cup of waist saved from the recycler or trash on the average family stay. I'm thinking more along those lines then money lines.

NOTICE: I apologize for if any of this can be taken the way of being disrespectful,

Why the h-e-l-l should it be an on-site perk, that locals (Whom pay for annual passes) have to spend 4k plus for a 5 day trip to Disney for unlimited soda when they live (like me) 4 fracking minutes away! I can't stand the people who stay on site and have the whole 'We are High and Mighty because we are staying a week on site. So bow down now or die' Attitude, I would be fired from Disney for snapping at one of those guests. I can't stand rudeness and some can really push my patience. Another On-Site Perk I can't Stand is the Extra Magic Hours, Why cant the Locals who pay over $500 Dollars for a Premium Annual Pass, but then again, we don't pay 4k for 5 days and that goes back to the whole 'We are High and Mighty because we are staying a week on site. So bow down now or die' Attitude. Is it wrong that we (locals) have the privileged to live so close or is it that we have to get the short end of the fracking stick because we don't have the need to spend 4k for 5 nights since it is in driving distance from our homes.

Any way, that opens up to a new lucrative business, this 'technology to even link it to your kttk card' are called RFID (Radio-Frequency Identification) and that lucrative business is selling Clone RFID Tags, all you need is a insider and done (On July 22, 2006, Reuters reported that two hackers, Newitz and Westhues, at a conference in New York City showed that they could clone the RFID signal from a human implanted RFID chip, showing that the chip is not hack-proof as was previously claimed.) So it is possible, or what would happen if you have friends who work at front desk making you special kttk card for the purpose, so there are two ways to do a lucrative business with the whole unlimited soda for On-Siters only. Now lets talk about Privacy, If a tagged item is paid for by credit card or in conjunction with use of a loyalty card (KTTK Card), then it would be possible to indirectly deduce the identity of the purchaser by reading the globally unique ID of that item (contained in the RFID tag). This is only true if the person doing the watching also had access to the loyalty card data and the credit card data, and the person with the equipment knows where you are going to be. Most concerns revolve around the fact that RFID tags affixed to products remain functional even after the products have been purchased and taken home and thus can be used for surveillance and other purposes unrelated to their supply chain inventory functions. The concerns raised by the above may be addressed in part by use of the Clipped Tag. The Clipped Tag is an RFID tag designed to increase consumer privacy.

The Clipped Tag has been suggested by IBM researchers Paul Moskowitz and Guenter Karjoth. After the point of sale, a consumer may tear off a portion of the tag. This allows the transformation of a long-range tag into a proximity tag that still may be read, but only at short range – less than a few inches or centimeters. The modification of the tag may be confirmed visually. The tag may still be used later for returns, recalls, or recycling. Here is some intersting infomation on how 'Securely' these RFID can be: In an effort to make passports more secure, several countries have implemented RFID in passports. However, the encryption on UK chips was broken in under 48 hours. Since that incident, further efforts have allowed researchers to clone passport data while the passport is being mailed to its owner. Where a criminal used to need to secretly open and then reseal the envelope, now it can be done without detection, adding some degree of insecurity to the passport system. So how "Secure" could the RFID be on the Unlimited Soda on KTTK cards?

Another Concern about RFID is the Following:

After you leave the store, any RFID devices in the things you buy are still active. This means that a thief could walk past you in the mall and know exactly what you have in your bags, marking you as a potential victim. A thief could even circle your house with an RFID scanner and pull up data on what you have in your house before he robs it.

Military hardware and even clothing make use of RFID tags to help track each item through the supply chain. Some analysts are concerned that, if there are particular items associated with high-level officers, roadside bombs could be set to go off when triggered by an RFID scan of cars going by.

There was a recent report revealing clandestine tests at a Wal-Mart store where RFID tags were inserted in packages of lipstick, with scanners hidden on nearby shelves. When a customer picked up a lipstick and put it in her cart, the movement of the tag was registered by the scanners, which triggered surveillance cameras. This allowed researchers 750 miles away to watch those consumers as they walked through the store, looking for related items.

RFID tags differ from conventional barcode tags in a number of ways. It is these differences that create the benefit of adopting the technology, while simultaneously creating the greatest concern over the privacy issues involved. For example, under today's barcode technology, a pack of Wrigley's gum sold in Houston has the same barcode as a pack sold in New York City. With RFID, however, each pack would have a unique ID code which could be tied to the purchaser of that gum when they use an "item registration system" such as a frequent shopper card or a credit card.

Continuing with the gum example, the purchaser could then be tracked if he/she ever entered that same store again, or perhaps more frightening, if they entered any other store with RFID reading capability. Because, unlike a barcode, RFID tags can be read from much greater distances and the reading of such devices is non-directional. This means that if you enter a store with a pack of gum in your pocket, the reader can identify that pack of gum, the time and date you bought it, where you bought it, and how frequently you come into the store. If you used a credit card or a frequent shopper card to purchase it, the manufacturer and store could also tie that information to your name, address, and e-mail. You could then receive targeted advertisements by gum companies as you walk down the aisle, or receive mailings through your e-mail or regular mail about other products.

As the technology behind RFID advances, the potential for privacy infringement does as well. A more recent development is a study which reveals that RFID already has the capability to determine the distance of a tag from the reader location. With such technology already available, it is not difficult to imagine a situation in which retailers could determine the location of individuals within their store, and thus target specific advertisements to that customer based upon past purchases. In effect, that store would be creating a personal log of your past purchases, your shopping patterns, and ultimately your behavioral patters. While such information gathering would be considered intrusive enough by many consumer's standards, the danger that such information could be sold to other retailers, (similar to the way such profiles are currently sold regarding Internet commerce), could create potentially devastating information vulnerabilities. While some RFID critics have pointed out that the technology could lead to some sort of corporate "Big Brother," there is a more widespread concern that allowing RFID to develop without legal restrictions will eliminate the possibility for consumers to refuse to give such information to retailers.

Edited by Gringrinnyghost
Stuff :D

Jeez! its just a plastic mug! (firmly grasp mug in both hands and repeat after me....'Calm, calm, calm" )

Adding my 50 cents (but not buying into the big brother stuff).

I think the four refills an hour limit is just a way of dealing with huge families who buy just one mug and then decant the contents.

I only say an On-Site Perk as they are cutting back another On-Site Perk EMH. Disneys Biggest Profit/ Loss will ALWAYS be Filling Hotel Rooms. and they have shown time over time That's Their Big Push .

As for the KTTK card I was thinking more along the Lines of the Programing of the RFID tag not as a use to it. In other words You would have to show it (just Like EMH) in order to purchase a Taged Mug. Heck they could even go back to just having them in the Room like they use to. From the sounds of things having to place the Mug on the shows they are using the Clipped short range tags. They could even do a 2 tier enable Slide card and place mug.

We know This system whatever it becomes will be open to abuse . 1 member of the party buys they Mug and Takes it's for it's 4 Fills per hour and refills the awaiting cups .

As far as Locals Disney has already proven it Doesn't want you or at least knows you will already Pay to come anyhow so why give you any Perks. Oh yea that's Right You all Keep Coming lol

We also Know That Disney wants to obtain as much info as they can about us so this is just another item for their database .

No Disrespect taken 'm just tossing out my Thoughts of where this could be taken in Disney Thinking.